If you’re training to run a half marathon like I am or just want to run your first mile, this running playlist can help you get there. Having great running music is seriously one of the biggest tips I can give anyone; there’s just something about a strong beat and inspirational message that keeps your feet moving! And this new and updated list includes everything from classic songs to running songs from 2016!
Before we talk about the playlist, let me tell you a story. Ten years ago my brother got engaged to my sister-in-law while we were all on a family cruise. After seeing myself in pictures from that cruise, I said that I was going to run five times a week from the day after the cruise to the day my brother got married.
And my soon to be sister-in-law laughed and said there was no way I could do it.
I’m sure you can guess how the story ended. I let my competitive side take over and ran five times a week not only until their wedding but also for months afterwards. I ran alongside my dad for the most part, and it was that summer that we decided to run our first half marathon together.
That first half marathon in Athens, Georgia was amazing. And so was the second one in Death Valley, CA almost a year later. I felt invincible. While my dad barely crossed the finish line, I could’ve run at least another six miles. I haven’t felt that good since even though I’ve “run” another 13 half marathons since Death Valley. And walk/ran the Marine Corp Marathon a couple of years ago.
I want to feel like that again. And 2017 is the year that I’m going to do it.
If there’s anything that can make me feel like running, it’s a good song. There have been so many times that I felt like I needed to walk or like my legs just couldn’t go any further. And then a song like Perfect by Pink came on, and it helped me keep going and get across that finish line. I mean, how can you start walking when the music is saying don’t ever feel like you’re nothing. Or how about Kelly Clarkson singing what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger? Yep, a good playlist can really make the difference between an “I feel invincible” run and a run that makes you want to throw away your running shoes and just eat ice cream every day for the rest of your life.
And this my friends is the perfect running playlist. Or at least my perfect running playlist. Songs with words that remind you that you can do anything or beats that make your legs just keep moving. They aren’t in any particular order because I typically just put it on shuffle so I can be surprised.
Click on the song title below to listen to a preview of the songs. And since I only listen to clean versions of songs, these are the clean versions. If you like things unedited, feel free to buy those instead.
- “Bulletproof” – La Roux
- “Edge of Glory” – Lady Gaga
- Bad Romance” – Lady Gaga
- “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” – Kelly Clarkson
- “My Life Would Suck Without You” – Kelly Clarkson
- “Jai Ho” – A. R. Rahman & Pussycat Dolls (from Slumdog Millionaire)
- “Roar” – Katy Perry
- “Shake It” – Metro Station
- “Girlfriend” – Avril Lavigne
- “Club Can’t Handle Me” – Flo Rida
- “Raise Your Glass” – Pink
- “Perfect” – Pink
- “So What” – Pink
- “Rolling in the Deep” – Adele
- “Not Afraid” – Eminem
- “Lose Yourself” – Eminem
- “New Divide” – Linkin Park
- “Livin’ on a Prayer” – Bon Jovi
- “Don’t Stop Believin” – Journey
- “Raging Fire” – Phillip Philips
- “Float On” – Modest Mouse
- “Best Day of My Life” – American Authors
- “Wake Me Up” – Avicii
- “I Think We’re Alone Now”- Tiffany
- “Dog Days Are Over” – Florence and the Machine
- “Shake It Out” – Florence and the Machine
- “On the Floor” – Jennifer Lopez
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift
- What the Heck – Avril Lavigne
- I Lived – One Republic
- Marchin’ On – One Republic
- Run This Town – Jay Z & Rhianna
- Flat on the Floor – Carrie Underwood
- Goodbye Earl – Dixie Chicks
- Wavin’ Flag – K’naan
- Somebody Like You – Keith Urban
- Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus
- I Run to You – Lady Antebellum
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- If You’re Going Through Hell – Rodney Atkins
- Can’t Stop the Feelin‘ – Justin Timberlake
Other Running Essentials I Love: