Let’s finish out the summer with a bang, with one more frozen treat. These healthy popsicles combine coconut milk, coconut cream, Vital Proteins whey protein, and fruit for a healthy and refreshing treat. Perfect for saying goodbye to summer or for anyone looking for a healthy treat on a warm day in the fall or spring.
I’ve talked about it a bit before, but I don’t get enough protein in my diet. I just don’t cook or eat meat enough, so I have to get protein in different ways. Vital Proteins is my favorite way to add protein to a recipe without changing the flavor. I did it with my mini cheesecake bites, banana muffins, and my favorite rocky road protein bites. They have so many different types of protein, it’s easy to find something to throw in pretty much every recipe.
Their newest addition is a line of organic, grass-fed wheys – whey protein and collagen whey protein (in a vanilla and cocoa flavor!). I added a scoop of the regular whey protein (26g protein!!) to these popsicles and after they’re all blended together, you’d never even know because it’s completely flavorless. The vanilla and coconut water whey collagen would also be fantastic in this recipe, but I would probably save the cocoa for a different day.
The recipe for these popsicles is super simple and easy to adapt to your own fruit preferences. I made blueberry and strawberry bars, but you could easily substitute the strawberry puree for something else you prefer like mango or pineapple. Or use orange and have an orange coconut creamsicle! Also, I wanted to make these as healthy as possible, so I didn’t add any additional sugar. If you’re making these for kids or want them as a sweet treat, I’d recommend adding a bit of raw honey to the mixture before you blend. Start with 1 TBS and go up from there depending on how sweet you like things.
Creamy Coconut Fruit Bars
- 1can(13-14oz) coconut milk - use the entire can, milk and cream
- 1scoop Vital Proteins Organic Whey Protein(or Vanilla Collagen Whey)
- 1/2cupfruit puree - any fruit
- Fresh fruit(optional)
- Combine the coconut milk, coconut cream, and whey protein together using either a blender or an immersion blender until completely smooth and combined. It's important to blend until smooth or else you'll end up with a gritty texture from the protein.
- Fill popsicles with mixture.
- Add 1 TBS of fruit puree into each of the 8 popsicles and swirl around with knife until well mixed.
- Add a slice or small piece of fresh fruit right along the outside of the popsicles carefully (optional - for looks only)
- Add sticks to popsicles.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove carefully and enjoy frozen.