These OREO cookie ball pilgrim hats are the perfect Thanksgiving dessert that the whole family will love! This post has been sponsored by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OREOCookieBalls#CollectiveBias
One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is making desserts with my family. We always include striped delight and pies but this year, I’m trying something new and making cute pilgrim hats made with OREO cookie balls! I thought they would be perfect to make with my mom and sisters and even my nephews if they want to help us out instead of going to play in the turkey bowl.
There are some recipes that just shouldn’t be messed with because they’re perfect the way they are. OREO cookie balls are one of those things. And the best thing about them is that they’re such a perfect base for creating cute desserts like footballs, turkeys, in my case, pilgrim hats that are perfect for your Thanksgiving table! OREO cookie balls are so easy to make. Pick up some OREOs, cream cheese, and baking chocolate at your local Walmart.
Crush up some OREO cookies and mix the crumbs with cream cheese. Roll the mixture into large rectangle shapes (they’ll be the top of the hats) and freeze for a few minutes. While the OREO cookie mixture is chilling, melt some chocolate either in the microwave or using a double-boiler on the stove.
Dip the rectangles in chocolate and freeze again on a piece of parchment paper so the chocolate doesn’t stick. While the rectangles are freezing, break your OREO cookies into two cookies and dip each individual side into chocolate to make the rim of the hat.
Freeze both the rectangles and hat rims for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to completely harden. Once set, connect the two together by putting a small amount of melted chocolate on top of one of the hat rim and then pushing the rectangle directly onto it, to create the hat. If your rectangles are a little rounded, just gently cut off the bottom to create a flat surface. Repeat with all of the rectangles and hat rims.
Keep refrigerated until you’re ready to serve with the rest of your delicious Thanksgiving desserts! For more creative OREO cookie ball holiday dessert ideas check out these ideas!
OREO Cookie Ball Pilgrim Hats
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
- 36 OREO Cookies , finely crushed (about 3 cups)
- 4 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 24 OREO Cookies , split in half so you have 48 cookies (optional)
- 2 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted (optional)
- White or gold icing (optional)
- MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) rectangles.
- Freeze 10 min.
- Dip rectangles in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
- Melt chocolate.
- Dip cookie halves in chocolate and set on wax or parchment paper then freeze for 10 minutes.
- Connect rectangles to cookie halves by dipping the rectangle bottom into melted chocolate and firmly pressing onto chocolate covered cookie.
- Decorate hat with belt and buckle using white or gold icing.
- REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.