Make this Oreo ice cream cake with just a few ingredients and it’s guaranteed to be a hit with everyone! Full of classic flavors and ingredients, people will be asking for this ice cream cake at every occasion!
There are very few things in life that I enjoy more than a good ice cream cake. And this Oreo ice cream cake makes me think of Joey from friends describing Rachel’s famous trifle – Oreos good, ice cream sandwiches, good. Chocolate sauce, good.
It’s literally everything good in one amazingly easy cake! I mean there’s a reason my neighbors got me an Oreo ice cream cake for my birthday last year – I didn’t share a single slice!
This is my new go-to birthday cake recipe (it’s ice cream and cake all in one) and summer party dessert. Just make sure you have somewhere to keep it frozen until you’re ready to serve so you don’t end up with melted ice cream cake!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Nostalgic flavors – this cake combines Oreos, ice cream sandwiches, Cool Whip, and ice cream sundae toppings all in one cake. Those flavors all personally remind me of my childhood and is there anything better than a nostalgic dessert? There’s a reason I love striped delight so much.
- Three-ingredient recipe – the base recipe only includes three ingredients. Toppings add a few more but all those toppings are things you probably already have at home, I know I do!
- Super simple – not only does it only include three ingredients, but it’s super simple to make! You’re probably making this during summer (or middle of winter, you do you!) and no one really wants to cook during the summer!
- Sprinkles – these are totally optional but add a fun topping to the cake and make it a little prettier! You could also use mini M&Ms as toppings or any other candy bar (Heath would be good if you like Heath).
- Ice cream sandwiches – I recommend using 2×2 ice cream sandwiches (squares) for a perfect fit but if you can’t find those, you could use really ones and just cut them into squares instead.
- Oreos – I prefer this with just regular Oreos but if you want to mix it up and use flavored Oreos for different seasons, feel free!
You’ll also need a piece of parchment paper to get you cake in and out of the pan easily! It won’t slice very well otherwise!
How to Make an Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Okay so let’s get started with this super simple recipe!
First, line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. I already mentioned this once – but this part is important. You’ll use the parchment paper to remove the cake from the pan once frozen. This makes slicing WAY easier!
Once you’ve got your parchment in, line the bottom of the parchment with Oreos, breaking them in half to fill any gaps. You want basically a full sheet of Oreos.
You could also make an Oreo crust instead if you’d prefer – check out my expert tips at the bottom for instructions on how to do that!
Once you have a layer of Oreos, spread one 8oz. container of thawed Cool Whip over the top of the Oreos.
Next, layer the ice cream sandwiches on top of the Cool Whip. You can see in the picture below why I recommend using square ice cream sandwiches instead of the rectangle ones!
Once you’ve got your entire layer of ice cream sandwiches, spread the other container of thawed Cool Whip over the top.
Top with extra crushes Oreos and little candies (if you want).
Freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing. The Oreos will maintain their crunch while the ice cream and Cool Whip both firm up and give this a nice smooth taste!
Remove the cake from the pan using the overhanging piece of parchment paper on the sides. Slice and serve! I mean how good does that look???
For a little something extra, drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkles just before serving. This is optional, but it does give it a really fun and festive look – perfect for enjoying after some birthday party games!
Upgrade your Oreo ice cream cake by giving it an Oreo crust. This makes the recipe a bit more complicated but can be a fun option. Place 30 Oreos and 4 tablespoons of melted butter in a food processor and pulse until you get Oreo crumbs. Press into the bottom of the pan for an Oreo crust instead of just doing a layer of Oreos.
Use either mini square ice cream sandwiches (2×2 inches) or cut the larger rectangle ones to size.
Make it seasonal by trying out different flavors of Oreos and adding a small amount of flavored extract to the Cool Whip before adding to the cake. Peppermint would be a nice touch for the holidays!
Wrap sliced cake in aluminum foil and keep in the freezer for up to seven days.
This will last for up to a week when wrapped in aluminum foil and kept in the freezer! Don’t use plastic wrap – it’ll stick to the cake and ruin the outside!
More Easy Summer Desserts
If you like this ice cream cake recipe, you’re going to love these other refreshing desserts!
- Brownie fruit pizza – brownie crust, cream cheese topping, and fresh fruit all in one amazing dessert!
- 4th of July strawberries – red, white, and blue chocolate strawberries – one of the best red, white, and blue desserts out there!
- Easy cherry cake – a yummy vanilla cake with fresh cherry flavor and a glazed top! Perfect for using fresh summer cherries.
- Blue popsicles – these fun summer popsicles are great for kids but yummy enough for adults!
- Strawberry soup – a chilled strawberry soup that’s great for dessert with fresh summer strawberries!
- Key lime icebox cake – layers of delicious key lime goodness with a flaky crust!
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- 20 Oreos (plus a few extra for topping)
- 2 8 ounce. containers Cool Whip (thawed and divided)
- 16 mini ice cream sandwiches
- Chocolate syrup, Oreo pieces, Mini M&M's (optional toppings)
- Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Line the bottom of the parchment with Oreos, breaking them in half to fill any gaps.20 Oreos
- Spread one 8oz. Container of thawed Cool Whip over the top of the Oreos.2 8 ounce. containers Cool Whip
- Layer the ice cream sandwiches on top of the Cool Whip.16 mini ice cream sandwiches
- Spread the other container of thawed Cool Whip over the top of the sandwiches.2 8 ounce. containers Cool Whip
- Top with crushed Oreos and other candy if desired.Chocolate syrup, Oreo pieces, Mini M&M's
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkles just before serving.Chocolate syrup, Oreo pieces, Mini M&M's