This homemade taco meat recipe is way better than the kind you make with a packet of taco seasoning and healthier too! Simply combine some ground beef, the perfect mix of seasonings, and a little liquid for the best homemade tacos ever!
Why Homemade Taco Meat?
We very rarely use packets of seasonings these days after trying Whole 30 and getting off of processed foods. But honestly, it’s more about the taste. I just think homemade taco seasoning tastes better. A lot better.
It’s also better for you. Anything that’s been sitting on a shelf is not going to be quite as healthy as if you make it yourself. This recipe is also very lifestyle friendly – gluten-free, paleo, Keto, Whole 30 you name it! Not vegetarian or vegan friendly but what taco meat is?
How to Use this Taco Meat Recipe?
One of our regularly weekly meals is something with taco meat – enchiladas, taco salad, tacos, or even burritos. And right now I’m thinking my next taco flavored thing is going to be these taco grilled cheese sandwiches. Or maybe I’ll just set up a make your own taco salad bar at my next party.
No matter how we’re going to eat it, we have homemade taco meat at home a lot. And after eating it regularly for a couple of years now, I can tell you that this is hands down my favorite homemade taco meat ever.
What Kind of Meat to Use in this Homemade Taco Meat?
Here’s a secret – you can actually use this same recipe with a number of types of meat. It’s the seasonings that we’ve perfected, but they work great with various meats.
We most often use it with grass-fed ground beef but have used the same general recipe with both ground turkey and ground bison as well. Just switch out the meat with your favorite in the recipe. It’s really the seasoning that’s key!
How Long Will This Taco Meat Recipe Keep in the Fridge?
One of the best things about this taco meat recipe is that you can actually make a bunch of taco meat once and then use it in various recipes throughout the week. The taco meat keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days and then I’d probably toss it and make up a new batch.
So you could have regular tacos for dinner Sunday night, taco salad for lunch on Monday, and then taco stuffed baked potatoes for dinner on Tuesday night! Just double it if you plan on using it all week long.
How to Make Taco Meat
Instead of walking you through in words how to make this taco meat, check out the video below to see how easy it is! It’s really as simple as cooking the beef with the spices! The key is to make sure that you cook it long enough that the meat isn’t too liquidy – if it is, drain the meat or scoop it out with a slotted spoon so you don’t get too much taco liquid on your tacos!
The Best Homemade Taco Meat Recipe
- 1 lb ground/shredded meat
- garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- Salt and garlic both sides of the meat and brown over medium-high heat. If working with a block of meat, cut in half and salt/garlic/brown both sides of each half of the meat. To brown the meat, cook for two minutes on one side, flip and cook for another two minutes, then break up the meat and cook for another two minutes, cooking for a total of about six minutes or until meat is browned.
- Combine all other spices while browning the meat.
- Once meat is browned and broken up, sprinkle the spice mix and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken broth and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4-5 minutes, until most of the liquid has cooked away.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican dishes.