This orange fluff Jello salad is sweet, light, and refreshing, perfect for warmer weather. This delicious Jello salad can double as the perfect side dish or a fruity dessert salad. Whenever you choose to serve it, this orange jello fluff is guaranteed to be a crowd favorite.
I don’t know how your family works, but mine tends to revolve around food. Any time you see us all together you’ll find us eating pizza loaf and striped delight. Basically, we really love food.
Typically my mom and sister do the main dishes and the rest of us bring something to share. For years my go-to side has been this spinach strawberry salad, but recently I’ve been on a fluff kick (you should try my strawberry fluff and ambrosia salad), so I thought it’d be fun to try out this orange fluff recipe!
Everyone loved it, even the little kids running around stopped to eat some. And anyone who has toddlers knows, getting them to eat anything is a win.
With just a handful of simple ingredients, this simple recipe makes the salad base out of Jello, instant pudding, and cool whip. Then the recipe mixes it with some tangy fruit and mini marshmallows, which results in a creamy fruit salad with the perfect orange flavor.
This orange stuff is a great side dish for Easter, spring family gatherings, any really any time of the year! I hope it’ll become a family favorite for you like it has for us!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple ingredients – this orange fluff is made from six minimal ingredients that can be found in most homes and at any grocery store. Plus, all the ingredients are pretty cheap and already prepared for you. No need to spend hours cutting oranges, unless you want to.
- Fruity flavor – this simple orange fluff salad is packed full of creamy vanilla-orange flavor with bites of fresh orange throughout. It reminds me of a creamsicle, I almost called it an orange creamsicle fluff instead.
- Versatile – this can easily be paired with burgers and hot dogs as a fruity side dish at your next backyard BBQ or be an orange fluff dessert. The best part is whenever you choose to serve it, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Cool Whip – make sure that you pull this out to thaw before you try to use it. It gets melty if you try to thaw it in the microwave, so plan ahead. You can also make your own whipped cream if you prefer.
- Canned fruit – this goes for both the crushed pineapple and the oranges, but drain these as well as you can! You don’t want to lose the fluff because you added too much liquid.
- Jello mixture – be sure to stir thoroughly, you don’t want any clumps of pudding or Jello floating in your salad. Make sure you have hot water when you start, not just warm. And make sure to follow the instructions in the recipe card for adding the different water temperates.
How to make Orange Fluff Salad
This orange fluff salad is just about as easy to make as it is to eat and it’s very easy to eat! Just mix a few ingredients, let it sit, and watch it disappear!
To make the orange fluff recipe, start by combining the package of orange Jello powder with hot water in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the powder dissolves. It takes about two minutes.
Next, add cold water and whisk to combine. After the orange Jello mix is fully dissolved in the water. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to get all the Jello flavor. Place the mixture into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
After the orange Jell-o has had time to set, in the same large bowl combine the instant pudding mix. Make sure the vanilla pudding has fully been whisked in with the Jello so there are no lumps.
Place the bowl back into the fridge for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Next, gently fold in the Cool Whip with a rubber spatula. Make sure the whipped topping is evenly distributed throughout the pudding jello mixture.
After the Cool Whip has been added, mix in the fruit. Use a gentle folding motion again as you add the drained mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, and mini marshmallows. Be careful not to crush the mandarin oranges.
Once all the ingredients are combined, cover bowl and put the salad in the fridge for at least two hours before serving. This allows all the flavors to combine and the cream to thicken.
When ready to serve, remove from the fridge and serve chilled. To make it picture-perfect, top it off with some extra oranges and marshmallows.
Expert Tips And Storage Info
Make sure to let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours for the cream to thicken up. The flavors will also intensify and the marshmallows will soften and soak it all in.
This recipe has extra fruit in it. Make sure to drain the canned fruit well otherwise the salad will be juicy/watery.
Switch it up and add some other fresh fruits if you like. You can also add coconut shreds or even some nuts like walnuts. You could even switch out the flavor of orange jello with another jello if you really wanted, but it won’t be an orange fluff salad recipe any more.
If you want to make it low-calorie you can use Sugar-free Jello and pudding mix will still work in this recipe. You can also use low-fat Cool Whip or make your own whipped topping.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Any longer and the cream will begin to thin out from the fruit juices and the texture of the marshmallows become too soft.
This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can absolutely switch out the jello flavor. Just know that changing the jello flavor will change the base of the salad. Don’t expect to use blue raspberry Jello and have it taste like an orange. I suggest picking something that pairs well with the other ingredients in the dish, like strawberry Jello or peach Jello.
More Easy Spring Side Dishes
Serve this orange jello salad alongside these other delicious side dishes (and some glazed ham) for the ultimate spring feast!
- Bacon wrapped green beans – the most flavorful green beans ever, sweet and crispy!
- Honey roasted carrots – sweet carrots roasted with honey and fresh flavors.
- Homemade crescent rolls – there’s nothing better than a warm roll topped with some butter!
- Party mac and cheese – this delicious baked mac and cheese is perfect for serving at a spring party or gathering!
- Caprese salad skewers – grab some fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil for these delicious spring bites.
Orange Fluff Salad
- 3 oz Orange Jello mix
- 1 Cup hot water
- ½ cup cold water
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding
- 8 Oz Tub Cool Whip
- 2 (15) oz cans mandarin oranges drained well
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained well
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- Start by combining the orange Jello powder with hot water in a large bowl. Whisk until the powder dissolves.3 oz Orange Jello mix, 1 Cup hot water
- Next, add cold water and whisk to combine again. Place the Jello into the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.1/2 cup cold water
- After the Jello has had time to set, whisk the instant pudding into the Jello mixture. Place the bowl back into the fridge for another 15 to 20 minutes.3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding
- Gently fold in the cool whip with a rubber spatula until mixed through.8 Oz Tub Cool Whip
- Use a gentle folding motion to mix in the fruit and mini marshmallows.2 (15) oz cans mandarin oranges, 20 oz can crushed pineapple, 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- Once all the ingredients are combined, put the salad in the fridge for at least two hours before serving.
Leave a Comment