This banana split fluff is the perfect twist on a classic banana split dessert. Filled with banana slices, maraschino cherries, and chocolate syrup it has all the classic banana split flavors but in a fluff salad dessert! Perfect for your next potluck or other family gatherings.
Banana splits are made up of classic flavors. You can never go wrong with ice cream topped with strawberries, bananas, and chocolate. While making a banana split for yourself is a tasty treat, it’s really hard to do for a crowd.
This banana split fluff salad recipe is perfect for feeding the whole family or bringing to share. It’s got those classic flavors but in a delicious dessert salad that won’t melt all over.
With things like church functions and baby showers, that include feeding a crowd this great recipe is an easy choice. You can never go wrong with bringing something sweet, and this pink mixture is one of the easiest desserts you can make that everyone will love.
There are a lot of fluff recipes out there, like this orange fluff or watergate salad, that can pass for a side dish as well as an easy dessert salad.
However, this easy marshmallow salad is full of so much sweet goodness that it might be tricky to be called anything other than a dessert. But I’ll leave that up to you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy – this speedy treat can be made and in the fridge in five minutes. So not only will your taste buds thank you, but so will the clock.
- Versatile – we all have our own favorite banana split toppings. I prefer almonds to walnuts. The best thing about this recipe is you can easily change out something to make it work for you and what you like!
- Easy to make for a crowd – I’ve said this before but it’s just one of the best things about this banana split fluff recipe. Easily double this recipe and serve it in a large bowl at a potluck or portion out individual servings ahead of time.
- Cherry pie filling – this can be substituted for strawberry pie filling or a homemade filling.
- Cool Whip – you can use any type of Cool Whip or make your own whipped topping.
- Pineapple chunks – be sure to not add the juice or it will dilute the fluff. You can use crushed pineapple if you like the flavor but not the chunks. It can also be substituted for shredded coconut to give it the same texture without the pineapple flavor.
- Walnuts – can be replaced with almonds or pecans if desired or omit it all together.
- Bananas – I recommend using ripe bananas but not too ripe (aka not brown banana bread bananas).
How to make banana split fluff
Fluff desserts are the best because they are straightforward and easy to make. However, if you are new to the world of fluffs I have included the full recipe with step-by-step photos to help you out.
1 – Make The Fluff
With a wooden spoon fold together the Cool Whip, cherry pie filling, sweetened condensed milk, and sour cream in a large bowl. Be careful to not deflate the Cool Whip by over-mixing.
Fold in the mini marshmallows, pineapple chunks, bananas, walnuts, maraschino cherries, and mini chocolate chips until combined.
2 – Store The Dessert
Next, cover the large bowl with plastic wrap and put the fluff salad into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Once the fluff salad has chilled for at least 30 minutes, drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the salad.
3 – Serve
Serve cold topped with any of your favorite ice cream sundae toppings! It’s even more fun if you serve individual salads in a little individual bowls or in an individual waffle bowl with a maraschino cherry on top just like the classic ice cream treat.
Expert Tips And Storage Info
Drain the juice from the pineapple as much as you can before adding it in. Extra juice will ruin the texture of the fluff.
Be careful to not over mix the fluff. Mix everything until just combined to not mess with the texture of the dessert.
Store in an airtight container for up to three days in a fridge, after that the fruit juices will deflate the fluff and the marshmallows will become soggy.
Freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. The texture may vary after it thaws out and it is recommended you serve it fresh.
When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, it will last up to three days. It’s better enjoyed the first day or two but will be fine for up to three.
You will need the ingredients listed in the recipe card as well as a big bowl, rubber spatula, measuring cups, and plastic wrap.
More Dessert Salad Recipes
Want more fruit fluff recipes, try some of these next time! They’re are some of the best no bake dessert recipe ideas that can also double as dessert salads!
- Ambrosia salad – ambrosia isn’t the nectar of the gods for no reason and this ambrosia salad recipe will remind you why!
- Watergate salad recipe – also known as pistachio fluff, the creamy texture of this watergate salad is out of this world delicious!
- Strawberry fluff – lots of fresh fruit get combined in this classic dessert salad that’s perfect for any holiday!
- Orange fluff – this easy recipe uses orange jello in a citrus flavored fluff salad!
- Cheesecake fluff salad – cream cheese is the star in this delicious cheesecake flavored berry fluff dessert salad!
Banana Split Fluff
- 4 cups Cool Whip thawed
- 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
- 1 ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 ¾ cup pineapple chunks
- 2 bananas peeled and sliced into 1/2 in chunks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate syrup
- With a wooden spoon, mix together the Cool Whip, cherry pie filling, sweetened condensed milk, and sour cream in a large bowl.4 cups Cool Whip, 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling, 1 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fold in the mini marshmallows, pineapple chunks, bananas, walnuts, maraschino cherries, and mini chocolate chips until combined.2 cups mini marshmallows, 1 3/4 cup pineapple chunks, 2 bananas, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 3/4 cup maraschino cherries, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Cover the large bowl with plastic wrap and put the fluff salad into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle a little chocolate syrup on top of the salad and serve cold.1-2 tbsp chocolate syrup
Leave a Comment