If you love banana cupcakes, you’re going to really love these banana pudding cupcakes! They taste just like a banana cream pie but in the form of a cupcake! Light cupcakes filled with banana pudding and topped with whipped cream, banana slices, and a Vanilla wafer! They’re easy to make and delicious.
Easy Banana Cupcakes with Pudding Filling
I first made these banana cupcakes for my dad’s 50th birthday party because well my dad likes bananas. It’s actually funny because my dad loves bananas and my mom can’t stand them.
So it’s not often we have things with bananas but for my dad’s party, it was all about him! Banana cupcakes and candy sushi for the win!
I didn’t actually expect them to be as good as they were, but they really are delicious!
This was my first time ever making a filled cupcake and since then, I’ve made tons of filled cupcakes because they’re the best! If you like these, then you’ll probably also like my surprise cupcakes that are filled with a sweet surprise!
In addition to the filling, I topped the cupcakes with some whipped cream and garnished with a vanilla wafer and slice of banana.
Banana Pudding Cupcakes Ingredients
There really are just a few ingredients in these cupcakes.
- Yellow cupcake box mix – you can also use your own like this Taste of Home recipe
- Whipped cream frosting – I like to use this Joy of Baking recipe but if you have a favorite, use that. You could also try a different type of frosting like cream cheese, but I specifically said whipped cream frosting because I wanted this to be like a banana cream pie that has whipped cream on top!
- 2 3.4 oz boxes of instant banana pudding
- 4 cups milk (to make the banana pudding)
- Box of vanilla wafers
How to Make Banana Pudding Cupcakes
Making these banana cupcakes is just about as easy as it seems. That’s my kind of baking recipe!
I mean have you seen my strawberry poke cake recipe? So easy!
Okay, back to how you make these.
1 – Bake your cupcakes
Bake your cupcakes according to package directions (or the recipe you’re using). Most box mixes and recipes will give you 24 cupcakes, so I’ve written out these instructions based on that ratio of cupcakes.
Once the cupcakes are baked, let them cool completely. If you don’t let them cool, the whipped cream frosting melt right off.
2 – Make your pudding
While the cupcakes are baking, make your banana pudding according to package instructions.
Put it in the fridge to cool while your cupcakes finish baking/cooling.
3 – Fill the banana pudding cupcakes
Use a spoon or cupcake scoop like this one to take out a small section in the middle top of the cupcakes.
Use a cupcake filler or again just a spoon to fill the cupcakes just to right underneath the top with banana pudding. Replace the piece you scooped out and put it on top of the pudding.
Once you’ve reached this point, if you’re not going to serve them right away, put them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to actually serve these.
The frosting and toppings won’t be good for too long so you’ll want to add the frosting and toppings just before serving.
4 – Frost the cupcakes
Using either a piping bag and tip or a plastic bag to pipe the whipped cream frosting on top.
5 – Decorate the banana cupcakes
Once the cupcakes are frosted, add vanilla wafers and banana slices to garnish just before serving. If you prep them way too early, the wafers will end up getting soggy and that’s fine but maybe don’t do it hours beforehand.
Unless you like soggy Vanilla Wafers of course.
Ways to Use Leftover Banana Pudding Cupcake Filling
If you have leftover banana cupcake filling, try using it for one of these leftover desserts!
- Mini banana cream pies
- Banana parfaits with layers of banana, granola (or Vanilla wafers), and banana pudding
- A topping for banana splits
- Make a strawberry banana trifle that layers Angel Food cake with fresh strawberries, bananas, banana pudding, and whipped cream
Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- Make your yellow cupcakes according to the directions. Once done, allow to cool.
- While your cupcakes are cooking, make your banana pudding according to the package directions and put in the fridge to chill.
- Once the pudding is set, dice up pieces of banana and add them to the pudding.
- Once your cupcakes are cooled, cut out the top of your cupcakes either with a spoon or a cupcake corer to make room for the filling.
- Fill the center of the cupcakes with the banana pudding filling.
- Top with whipped cream frosting using a piping bag and tip or ziploc bag and piping tip.
- Garnish with a banana slice and vanilla wafer.
More Easy Cake Recipes
- Snickers poke cake
- Cinnamon streusel coffe cake
- St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes
- Pumpkin crunch cake
- American flag cake
- Texas sheet cake
Don’t forget to pin these banana pudding cupcakes for later!