This candy campfire activity is the perfect way to teach how to build a campfire or just a fun activity for a camp themed party!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase via these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Candy Campfire Activity
I was in charge of our church’s girls camp for a few years in a row and one of the certification requriements during camp was learning how to build a campfire.
This candy campfire activity was the perfect way to teach campfire basics.
This works great for girls camp certification or any other time you want to talk about campfires and feel like building a candy campfire. Boy scouts, girl scouts, kids indoor camping, a camping themed birthday party.
Whatever the occasion, this is fun for everyone!
If you are planning girls camp certification activities, make sure to check out my certification Olympics activities for a bunch of other fun camp themed ideas too!
Candy Campfire Supplies
Here’s everything you’ll need to build your very own candy campfires.
- Printable candy fire cards and instruction sheets – download at the bottom of this post
- White paper napkins
- Fire pit ring – Smarties (you could also use Skittles or M&Ms if you aren’t worried about them melting)
- Kindling – cut up Sour Straws
- Tinder – Tootsie Rolls
- Firewood – Chocolate licorice
- Logs – Large Tootsie Rolls (you could also use Kit Kats if melting isn’t a concern)
- Fire – Hot Tamales
- Ziploc bags
I recommend prepping the exact amount of candy for a campfire and putting it into a Ziploc bag with the candy fire card and instructions. Then just hand each person doing this a Ziploc bag with their supplies.
Less germs, less mess, and less just eating all the candy that way!
How to Build a Candy Campfire
While I do not recommend ONLY building candy campfires if you’re really trying to teach fire building, this candy campfire activity is a fun way to reinforce the skills in a creative and yummy way.
Or a good way to teach the steps to building a campfire before you actually make them.
It would be great for at camp (during a certification fair) or even a pre-camp activity where you teach girls skills they need to pass off certification at camp.
Here’s how we did it.
- Hand everyone a candy fire card and a bag of the candy they’ll need to build the fire.
- Go through one step at a time and build candy campfires together, making sure to explain what each of the candy represents and why you do it.
- Once the campfire is built, have everyone take their campfire apart and do the same thing with the other type of fire.
- Eat your candy!
Download the Candy Campfire Cards
Enter your first name and email address in the form below to download the candy campfire cards. You’ll immediately be taken to a PDF with the cards and instructions and also receive a link emailed to your inbox!
If you do not see the form below, click here to get to it.
Other Fun Camping Ideas
- Camping charades
- 10 fun indoor camping ideas
- Camping games
- Camp certification ideas
- Roll a first aid kit
- Girls camp certification
Don’t forget to pin this candy campfire activity for later!