These peppermint milkshakes are the ultimate winter dessert with creamy ice cream, chocolate chips, peppermint flavoring, and of course peppermint chips! It’s a copycat recipe of the seasonal Chick-fil-A peppermint chip milkshakes and a delicious wintery treat!
Those familiar with the chick fil a peppermint milkshake know that their seasonal signature shake only comes out once a year and is always worth the wait!
It’s creamy and refreshing and made with vanilla ice cream, a subtle kick of peppermint, and flecked with chocolate chips and candy cane bits that delivers a satisfying texture.
Luckily, I’ve created a copycat chick fil a peppermint milkshake recipe that tastes just like the real deal and costs way less to make at home. Plus, knowing how to make our budget-friendly version means we don’t have to wait until the holidays for their limited-time winter menu to enjoy them!
Topped off with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry, this fun and festive chick fil a peppermint milkshake recipe is perfect for Christmas parties as well as weekend movie nights or game nights with the family! Make a batch of our copycat Chick Fil A chicken minis then serve this peppermint milkshake for dessert.
Why you’ll love this
- Ready in 5 minutes – Whip this up in just a few minutes with a handful of ingredients. Once you add everything to the blender, it’s just a matter of blending, pouring, and topping!
- Cost-effective – Sometimes our favorite things from fast-food chains cost way too much! I’d much rather save for our next family trip to Disney by making it at home for a fraction of the cost than spend over 20 bucks on milkshakes for our family of four!
- Family-friendly – It is sweet, chocolaty, minty, and so fun to eat! It’s a wintry treat the whole family will love and such a delightful way to serve dessert to your guests of all ages.
- Vanilla ice cream – A great alternative to the soft serve that nobody has at home!
- Crushed peppermints or candy canes – Toss them in a zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Peppermint extract – Keep in mind there is a difference between peppermint extract and mint extract. They can generally be used interchangeably, as mint and chocolate are great together (that is if it’s not spearmint, which is the one that tastes like toothpaste). However, in this case, you may want to stick with the more intensely flavored peppermint extract. Mint may be too mild in this case to showcase the flavor.
- Whole milk
- Whipped cream for topping
- Maraschino cherries for topping
How to make peppermint chip milkshakes
This copycat Chick-Fil-A peppermint milkshake recipe is so easy to make! It’s just making a milkshake in the blender then adding the right mix-ins to finish it off!
- Start by adding vanilla ice cream, crushed mints, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and milk to a blender to make these delicious peppermint milkshakes.
If you are doubling the recipe make sure you use a large blender because the recipe makes a good amount!
- Blend all the ingredients together until they are just mixed and smooth. If you over mix the milkshakes, they will be too runny.
- Pour the milkshakes into a cup and top with some whipped cream, crushed peppermints, and mini chocolate chips, and a maraschino cherry. These are all optional, but they sure make these peppermint milkshakes taste more like the real thing!
- Serve the milkshakes immediately! Just like any other ice cream dish, they melt quickly, so you’ll want to enjoy it right away!
Tips & tricks
Have fun with the presentation. Add a candy cane stick or sprinkle some extra crushed candy cane and mini chocolate chips on top of the whipped cream.
Put out an assortment of toppings on the table for people to add their own. A DIY milkshake bar is always a good idea!
Throw in a fancy straw for added flare.
Have some peppermint bark lying around? You can use chips of peppermint bark in place of the chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy!
Use a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec). A regular blender will work, but won’t do the same job as a quality blender.
Freeze glasses ahead of time so they’re cold upon serving. Mason jars, milkshake glasses, whatever they are, a little frost for effect is fun!
The subtle pink hue comes from the red coloring on the candy canes or peppermint candy. If you want a deeper pink color, add a few drops of red food coloring to your shake.
You can adjust the consistency of your chick fil a peppermint milkshake recipe. It’s supposed to be thin enough to sip through a straw, however, if you want a thicker shake, add more ice cream.
This is usually because the ice cream is too hard and cold when added to the blender. Let it sit out and soften a bit so it blends smoothly. It’s especially important if you’re not using a high-speed blender.
More Easy Holiday Drinks
- Crockpot wassail – This drink is meant to be a holiday tradition! You can probably already imagine what your house will smell like when you make this one!
- Homemade hot chocolate – Warm, smooth, and chocolaty, this hot chocolate stovetop recipe is ready to serve in 5 minutes.
- Christmas punch – Who doesn’t love to see a big bowl of punch at a Christmas party?! Garnished with cranberries and orange slices, this drink is always a hit.
- Grinch punch – Kids and adults love this whimsical, refreshing, and fizzy drink!
- Spiced apple cider – Traditional apple cider infused with the taste and aroma of fall spices will warm you up from the inside out!
Peppermint Chip Milkshakes
- 2 cups Vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tbsp Crushed peppermints or candy canes
- 2 Tbsp mini Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp white chocolate chips
- ⅛ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- whipped cream for topping
- Maraschino cherries (for topping)
- Add vanilla ice cream, crushed mints, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and milk into a blender.2 cups Vanilla ice cream, 2 Tbsp Crushed peppermints or candy canes, 2 Tbsp mini Semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 Tbsp white chocolate chips, 1/8 tsp peppermint extract, 1/2 cup whole milk
- Blend all the ingredients together until they are just mixed and smooth. If you over mix the milkshakes they will be too runny.
- Pour the milkshakes into a cup and top with some whipped cream, crushed peppermints, and mini chocolate chips, and a maraschino cherry.whipped cream for topping, Maraschino cherries