This thick and creamy peppermint hot chocolate can be whipped up in minutes with just a little chocolate, cream, and a few other ingredients you probably already have at home! Top it with your favorite whipped cream, marshmallows, or candy canes for one delicious holiday drink!
Ever since hosting my candy cane Olympics where we played every candy cane game you could imagine and ate way too many candy canes, I’ve been a little obsessed with peppermint.
This peppermint hot chocolate is one of the first peppermint recipes I’ll be sharing this holiday season because I’m addicted.
I’ve already shared a classic homemade hot chocolate recipe (plus all sorts of other hot chocolate goodies like hot chocolate cupcakes and hot chocolate dip) but this one’s special because of the added peppermint flavor.
With peppermint season finally upon us, it’s time to embrace the flavor fully! This recipe will not only warm you up on a cold winter day, it can also be served at pretty much any holiday party, no matter what Christmas party themes you come up with!
This peppermint hot chocolate is the perfect holiday drink and can be whipped up in just minutes! Top it with more peppermint like candy canes or crushed peppermint pieces or just add the traditional whipped cream or marshmallows!
I hope you love it as much as we did!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Peppermint flavor – this hot chocolate is laced with peppermint flavor but not an overpowering amount, just the perfect balance of chocolate and peppermint.
- Gourmet hot chocolate – if you want a step above the classic hot chocolate flavor, this is it! This makes a great addition to girls night, holiday parties or adults, and anyone who likes a little more sophisticated flavor. Kids who like mint will enjoy it as well.
- Easy – making this is super easy as long as you have access to a stove and a microwave! If you only have a stove, it’s a tad harder but still easy as can be!
- Chocolate – this is best made with bittersweet chocolate to balance out the sugar added to the drink. Using semi-sweet or milk chocolate will make this just ultra sweet. Make sure it’s chopped into fine pieces so it melts quickly and evenly.
- Heavy cream and milk – the combination of the two is what gives this hot chocolate its rich and creamy texture. I recommend using both!
- Peppermint extract – any kind of peppermint extract will do. I recommend two teaspoons to give the drink a nice flavor but you could also play with little more or less as well.
How to make Peppermint hot chocolate
If you’ve ever made hot chocolate before, this is going to be pretty much the exact same as that – easy!
Start by combining your milk, cream, peppermint extract, and sugar in a medium saucepan on the stove. Turn the heat onto medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer but don’t boil.
The mixture should be just about to bubble but not quite. You don’t want to boil the mixture, just warm it up.
While you’re heating the mixture, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until fully melted.
You could also melt the chocolate using a double boiler on the stove if you don’t have a microwave. Just make sure you melt it enough so that it’s nice and smooth.
Once the chocolate is melted, remove the pan with the milk mixture from the heat and add the chocolate to the mixture. Whisk quickly to combine the chocolate with the milk mixture. This will give you a nice creamy peppermint hot chocolate.
Pour into individual glasses and serve topped with marshmallows, whipped cream, or even peppermint pieces.
This would make the perfect addition to any hot chocolate bar, a winter party of any kind, or just to warm everyone up on a cold day knocking something off your Christmas bucket list!
Watch the milk mixture closely so it doesn’t boil. You can put your pan on low-medium heat if your stove heats up quickly or cooks hot.
Melt the chocolate while the milk mixture is heating up so that you have the chocolate ready to add to the milk as soon as the milk is heated.
Serve and enjoy this peppermint hot chocolate immediately then get rid of any leftovers rather than trying to refrigerate and reheat.
Transfer hot chocolate to a slow cooker set to a low temperature if you want to keep the hot chocolate warm throughout a party or holiday gathering.
I do not recommend trying to freezing this hot chocolate. Try this frozen hot chocolate recipe instead.
More Easy Christmas recipes
If you like this peppermint hot chocolate, you’ll love these other delicious Christmas recipes!
- Cranberry orange bread – this super popular bread is great to eat and to gift to neighbors and friends!
- Christmas tree cheese board – the perfect Christmas appetizer, a cheese board in the shape of a Christmas tree!
- Eggnog pound cake – this gorgeous cake uses just a few ingredients in one delicious holiday cake!
- Reindeer chow – Christmas muddy buddies get an upgrade with things you might normally consider reindeer food!
- Who pudding – this fun layered cake is perfect for a Grinch party or Whoville feast!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS powdered sugar
- 2 tsps peppermint extract
- 4 oz bittersweet baking chocolate finely chopped
- Mini marshmallows, whipped cream, or peppermint for garnish
- Start by combining your milk, cream, peppermint extract, and sugar in a medium saucepan on the stove. Turn the heat onto medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer but don’t boil.1 1/2 cups whole milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 TBS powdered sugar, 2 tsps peppermint extract
- While you’re heating the mixture, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until fully melted.4 oz bittersweet baking chocolate
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the pan with the milk mixture from the heat and add the chocolate to the mixture. Whisk quickly to combine the chocolate with the milk mixture.
- Pour into individual glasses and serve topped with marshmallows, whipped cream, or even peppermint pieces.Mini marshmallows, whipped cream, or peppermint