Rolo cookies take chocolate chip cookies to the next level with a melted Rolo candy in the middle. A soft fluffy cookie with a gooey chocolate caramel center that’s too hard to eat just one.
All of them are super yummy but out of all of the recipes that I tried, these Rolo cookies are the ones I still crave all the time.
I haven’t made them since mostly because I ate the entire batch, with a little help from my neighbors and toddler. But mostly, just me.
There’s just something about the chocolate chip cookie base that’s stuffed with the chocolately caramel Rolo center that makes these irresistible. Especially if you eat them just after cooling so the center is still nice and warm and gooey.
why you’ll love this recipe
- No chill dough – no need to chill this dough (like you would for say sugar cookie bites). Just mix the ingredients, stuff with a Rolo, and bake.
- Caramel center – I’ve already mentioned it but the Rolo in the middle is seriously so good.
- Soft – these cookies are super soft and pillowy, even with the candy in the middle.
- Chocolate chips – I like to do semi-sweet chocolate chips, the milk chocolate will make these cookies too sweet.
- Butter – make sure it’s real butter, not a butter substitute. And make sure it’s softened by taking it out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking, longer depending on the temperature of your house.
- Rolos – make sure to get the regular size Rolos, not the miniatures.
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine softened butter, sugar and brown sugar then cream together. You need to make sure the butter is soft or it won’t cream well with the sugars – you’ll end up with little chunks of butter instead.
Next. add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Now add the baking soda, salt, and flour and mix well.
Finally, add the chocolate chips and fold into dough using either a wooden spoon or spatula rather than the mixer. If you use the mixer, you run the risk of over mixing the dough.
Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out your dough. Roll the scoops into balls then press a Rolo into the center of each ball, making sure to cover the Rolo completely with dough before placing on baking sheet.
These do spread a bit (although not as much as these white chocolate cranberry cookies), so I recommend spacing them about an inch apart.
Bake for 9 – 11 minutes then let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.
These cookies are the best when they’re warm but they’re still absolutely delicious any time. The center just won’t be quite as gooey!
Make sure to cover the Rolo completely in the middle of the cookie. If any of it is left uncovered, you’ll end up with caramel ooozing out on your baking sheet.
Buy unwrapped Rolos to save you time having to unwrap all 36 of those little candies.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container and enjoy within five days.
I don’t recommend freezing these Rolo cookies once baked simply because the inside won’t thaw and give you the caramel center that you’re looking for.
Make mini Rolo cookies by using a small cookie scoop to portion out your dough for the balls and filling the cookies with a miniature Rolo candy.
More Chocolate Recipes
If you like the chocolate caramel center in these cookies, you’ll love these other yummy desserts!
- Hot chocolate cupcakes – rich chocolate cupcakes with an amazing marshmallow filling and chocolate ganache topping. A chocolate lover’s dream!
- Chocolate brownie cake – brownies meet cake then get cut into yummy squares, a vintage recipe like one grandma used to make!
- White chocolate fudge – this white chocolate fudge combines white chocolate, sugar cookies, and sprinkles for one yummy treat!
- Easy chocolate truffles – super simple chocolate truffles that are perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you just want some chocolate!
- Snicker’s poke cake – chocolate and caramel all mixed with a chocolate cake!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 36 Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine butter, sugar, and brown sugar and cream together.
- Add eggs and vanilla then beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Combine baking soda, salt, and flour in a small bowl. Add mixture to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out a ball of cookie dough using a medium scoop and make a balls of dough. Press a Rolo into the center of each ball, making sure to cover the Rolo completely with dough before placing on baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 - 11 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to baking rack to cool completely.