This four-ingredient Dunkaroo dip is perfect for anyone who loves the icing dip that comes with Dunkaroos! Cake mix, Cool Whip, and pudding get mixed together into a fluffy dessert dip everyone will love!
There are some foods that are just nostalgic because we grew up eating them.
And then there are the nostalgic treats that everyone loves so much – moon pies (this homemade moon pie recipe is way better), Little Debbie snack cakes of pretty much every kind, and of course Dunkaroos. Throwback to the 90s anyone!?
Dunkaroos really had something going for it with that little pouch of graham cracker dippers and the funfetti dip in one little individual sized package – I mean that’s way better than cheese and crackers.
While you can still get Dunkaroos (not the original ones!) at places like Walmart, this DIY Dunkaroo dip recipe lets you share with other people instead of just enjoying a tiny amount of dipping frosting.
No one wants a tiny amount of anything this good. And if this going viral on my Instagram account is any indication that this is good, then it’s good!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy – with just four ingredients (including sprinkles), this recipe couldn’t be easier to make and also very inexpensive!
- Versatile – this fun Dunkaroo dip could really be used for any occasion from birthdays to girls nights to move nights! Serve it up with some funfetti ice cream bread for a really FUN dessert table!
- Nostalgic – while it may not taste exactly like the dip in the package itself, it will taste enough like it that it’ll give people that nostalgic feel, which makes things taste just that much better.
- Cool Whip – you can use either regular Cool Whip or extra creamy Cool Whip, either one works fine. Just make sure it’s thawed! I’ve seen people talk about using yogurt instead, which is fine if you want something a bit healthier – just know that it’s not going to taste the same.
- Funfetti cake mix – you can choose any funfetti cake mix you want, you’re just going to need the dry cake mix.
- Vanilla pudding – I’m talking about actual vanilla pudding snack packs, not boxes of vanilla pudding like I use in a lot of my dips (hello cherry cheesecake dip). Grab a four pack from the store and add two of them into this then enjoy the others!
- Sprinkles – if you’re really going for Dunkaroo dip, use rainbow sprinkles. Otherwise, you could really use any sprinkles you want.
This is a super easy recipe but the way you make it is pretty important – it’s easy to screw up if you don’t follow the instructions!
1- Heat Treat the Cake Mix
First, you need to heat treat the dry cake mix. This is important to get rid of any possible bacteria in the raw flour (in the cake mix) that could cause illnesses.
Do this by heating the dry cake mix in the microwave for 30 second intervals, making sure to stir every 30 seconds. Continue heating and stirring in 30 second intervals until the cake mix reaches 165°F on a candy thermometer.
Alternately, you can heat treat in the oven by spreading the cake mix out onto a baking sheet and heating in an oven that’s preheated to 350 degrees until it reaches 165°F on a candy thermometer. This typically takes 5-7 minutes depending on how your oven heats.
Make sure to stir every minute or two to keep the cake mix from burning.
Let cake mix cool for 10 minutes so that it is cool to the touch before moving onto making the dip.
2 – Make the Dunkaroo Dip
Once the cake mix has cooled, combine it with Cool Whip, pudding, and sprinkles in a large mixing bowl.
Beat with a hand mixer until all ingredients are well combined. You could try to do this with a spoon as well but beating it will give you a more smooth and fluffy mixture.
And you really want that smooth, fluffy icing type mixture for this to taste like the Dunkaroo dip we all know and love!
Move into a bowl and top with more sprinkles! The more sprinkles the better!
Serve with your favorite treats to dip like graham crackers, Teddy Grahams, fresh fruit, Vanilla Wafers, cookies, or really anything that sounds good to you!
This would even be good with your favorite chocolate treats dipped in – chocolate graham crackers, chocolate Teddy Grahams – you get it!
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve then refrigerate any leftovers for up to three days.
Make a half batch (this makes a lot) or a double batch (if you need to serve a lot) by simply adjusting the ingredients. There are no eggs or anything so this halves and doubles well.
Use a hand mixer to get the nice fluffy dip you see in the photos. Stirring by hand will give you something closer to this hot chocolate dip that’s smooth and creamy but not fluffy.
Dunkaroo dip is made of three main ingredients – funfetti cake mix (heat treated of course), Cool Whip, and vanilla pudding. Those ingredients are mixed with a healthy dose of rainbow sprinkles to get the iconic dip that everyone loves so much!
This funfetti Dunkaroo dip is good for up to three days in the fridge. Any longer than that and I recommend just making a new batch.
Dunkaroo dip is good with pretty much anything but our favorites for dipping include graham crackers, Teddy grahams, Vanilla wafers, and fresh fruit like strawberries, apples, and grapes.
More Easy Dessert Dips
If you like dessert dips, you’ve come to the right place! They’re a speciality of mine and you need to try these others!
- Brownie batter dip – this smooth and creamy dip tastes just like brownie batter, maybe even better!
- Christmas tree cake dip – a three-ingredient dip that starts with holiday favorite Christmas tree cakes!
- Cream cheese pumpkin dip – a simple pumpkin dip that’s perfect for the fall holidays!
- Cream cheese apple dip – this caramel apple dip starts with cream cheese and ends with caramel toffee bits, it’s an amazing addition to any party!
- Easy fruit dip – this sweet and fluffy fruit dip combines cream cheese and citrus in one amazing combination!
- 1 15.25 oz box funfetti cake mix (dry)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (thawed)
- 2 3.25 oz vanilla pudding cups (aka Snack Packs)
- 3 TBS rainbow sprinkles
- Heat the dry cake mix in the microwave for 30 second intervals, making sure to stir every 30 seconds. Continue heating and stirring in 30 second intervals until the cake mix reaches 165°F on a candy thermometer. Alternately, you can heat treat in the oven by spreading the cake mix out onto a baking sheet and heating in an oven that’s preheated to 350 degrees until it reaches 165°F on a candy thermometer. This typically takes 5-7 minutes depending on how your oven heats.1 15.25 oz box funfetti cake mix
- Let cake mix cool for 10 minutes until cool to the touch.
- Combine cake mix with Cool Whip, pudding, and sprinkles in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until all ingredients are well combined.8 ounces Cool Whip, 2 3.25 oz vanilla pudding cups, 3 TBS rainbow sprinkles
- Serve with your favorite treats to dip like graham crackers, Teddy Grahams, fresh fruit, Vanilla Wafers, cookies, or really anything that sounds good to you!