This easy sausage and egg breakfast casserole with bread topping makes the perfect weekend brunch! Make it the night before or the night of for a quick and delicious cheesy sausage egg breakfast casserole that will feed a family or an entire crowd!
This post was originally written in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm and has been updated since originally posted.
The Best Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
One of my absolute favorite meals of all time is this non-traditional Thanksgiving stuffing. My favorite part of the recipe is the crunchy bread topping on the top.
Since I can’t have Thanksgiving stuffing all year long, I thought it would be fun to try that crunchy bread topping on some other types of recipes.
And after a little bit of tinkering with my favorite breakfast recipes like these hash brown egg cups, I came up with this breakfast casserole with bread topping.
It’s seriously my favorite sausage breakfast casserole recipe ever.
That crunchy bread on the top makes it a showstopper. Ask my family who I’ve made this for dozens of time. And it gets eaten quickly every single time!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients in this egg casserole with bread topping are typical breakfast casserole ingredients with the addition of the cubed bread topping I mentioned before!
- Breakfast sausage
- Day-old bread, cubed
This isn’t your standard breakfast casserole – it starts with the same ingredients – eggs, cheese, milk, and breakfast sausage – but the best part of it is the bread cubes mixed it.
Those bread cubes turn it into more of a casserole taste than a straight egg dish. And the crunchy crispy bread on top, the best part of all!
How to Make Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
Even though it’s all homemade, it’s super easy to make this sausage egg breakfast casserole. Get full instructions for cooking in the recipe card below!
- Thaw your sausage then brown it in a pan until thoroughly cooked.
- Mix everything in a large bowl then put in a non-stick baking dish.
Told you it’s simple!
Cooking the sausage takes a few minutes but other than that, it’s really just putting your ingredients all together and combining into a large baking dish.
The hardest part is waiting for it to bake so you can eat it!
You can watch the video in this post to see how quickly this egg casserole with bread comes together!
What to Eat with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole?
The real question is what else should you serve with this egg casserole? It already has the bread built in so no need to serve any more bread, croissants, or the like. If you’re just having it for breakfast with your family (or a crowd), my favorite things to enjoy with it include:
- Fresh fruit (with this easy fruit dip)!
- One of these healthy smoothie recipes
- These breakfast cookies
- Blueberry compote (really yummy on top!)
Or if you’re looking for complementary breakfast recipes to serve alongside this sausage egg breakfast casserole for say a baby shower or brunch, try one of these yummy brunch recipes!
- Sausage breakfast pizza
- Savory birthday cake (made with sausage and pancakes!)
- Ham and cheese empanadas
Is Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole Gluten-Free?
No, this breakfast casserole recipe is not gluten-free and while you could try making it with gluten-free bread, it’s just not going to be the same.
If you want something gluten-free, I recommend these hash brown egg cups instead.
Can You Make Ahead of Time?
If you want to make this ahead of time, I recommend doing the following for the best results:
- Cook your sausage the night before.
- Cut your bread cubes the night before.
- Mix everything together OTHER THAN THE BREAD the night before and let sit overnight.
- Right before you’re ready to bake the sausage breakfast casserole, add the bread cubes.
- Put it into a baking dish and bake right before you want to serve it.
If you add the bread cubes the night before, they’re going to get soggy and no one wants soggy bread topping. You want a breakfast casserole with bread cubes that are crunchy and delicious!
Can Sausage Breakfast Casserole Be Frozen?
Technically yes you could freeze this. I don’t recommend it however because again the bread cubes are just not going to be the same when you thaw it. So nothing is going to go bad if you freeze it – but don’t do it.
It’s such an easy recipe, just make it either the night before or the day of.
Easy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole with Bread Cubes
- 10 oz breakfast sausage we prefer Jones Dairy Farm pork sausage
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 oz Italian or Ciabatta bread , cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Cook breakfast sausage according to instructions on package. When you remove sausage from pan, use a slotted spoon and place on plate with paper towel to soak up extra juices.
- While sausage is cooking, cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt, and parsley in large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add cheese into egg mixture and stir in.
- Add cooked sausage into mixture and stir in.
- Add bread cubes into bowl and stir in gently until well combined.
- Pour mixture into 8x8 or 9x9 prepared baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until egg is completely cooked.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.