This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hormel Foods, LLC.. All opinions are 100% mine.
These crockpot shredded pork tacos are one of our favorite quick weeknight meals and one of our staple easy crockpot meals when we just don’t have time to cook.
One of our goals this summer is to eat out less. We spend so much money on food and it’s not because we like to eat out. Honestly, I’m so sick of the restaurants near us and would love to cook dinner at home every single night just so I don’t have to eat another Asian chicken salad this summer. The problem is that neither my husband or I have time to cook dinner when it’s actually dinner time. That’s why these shredded pork tacos are perfect; we throw the pork in the crockpot a couple of hours before dinner and when dinner time rolls around, we have a delicious meal that came from our own kitchen instead of the neighborhood fast food restaurant.
This recipe was inspired by some of the most amazing tacos we’ve ever had on our trip to the Tampa, Florida area earlier this year. Their pork (and chicken) were so good that we actually made a trip back to Anna Maria Island on our last day (an hour drive) just so that we could eat lunch there again. Hands down the best quesadilla I’ve ever had in my life.
The key component to this recipe is the Hormel ALWAYS TENDER® pork tenderloin that I picked up at Target. I’ve always used Hormel Foods bacon and chili but was pleasantly surprised to see they also sold a pork tenderloin! And tons of other great products that are perfect for quick meals. My husband brined it for a couple of hours the night before and then just threw the meat in the crockpot with a couple of seasonings and let it cook until it just fell apart into perfectly shredded pork. We used an original ALWAYS TENDER® pork loin filet but they also have pre-marinated pork loins and pork roasts that would work great in the crockpot as well.
These shredded pork tacos are great for summer entertaining. Just set up a build your taco station outside with the meat, grilled corn, black beans, fresh cilantro, fresh cabbage, and anything else you like on your tacos. Serve with a refreshing drink like my citrus strawberry mocktail, and you have the perfect outdoor dinner party meal.
Check out the Hormel Foods website for other Easy Recipe Ideas, savings, coupons, sign up for the Hormel Newsletter , and a product locator if you’re not sure where to buy products near you. And follow along with Hormel Foods on Facebook or Pinterest where you can actually share your own recipe ideas!
Shredded Pork Meat
- 2 lbs Hormel ALWAYS TENDER pork tenderloin
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 6 cloves garlic , peeled and crushed
- 6 celery stalks (including the leaves), large diced
- 1 medium carrot , peeled, sliced, and large diced
- 3 T coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 2 T ground coriander
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Microwave one cup hot water for 3 minutes or until very hot then pour water into large bowl with lid.
- Add kosher salt to hot water and let water dissolve.
- Add 7 cups cold water to mixture so the final water mixture is cold.
- Cut pork tenderloin into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces then add all of the pieces to the water.
- Cover pork bowl with lid and allow to brine for 8-12 hours.
- Once pork is brined, remove from brine, rinse to get rid of brine, and pat dry.
- Add 3 T coconut oil to pan on high heat and sear pork tenderloin pieces in pan until golden brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add celery, carrot, and garlic to pan and cook until veggies are caramelized.
- Add chicken broth to veggie pan and mix together.
- Pour the entire veggie mixture into a crockpot.
- Add the coriander to the crockpot and mix until well combined.
- Add the pork to the crockpot and cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours on high until pork is completely cooked.
- Remove pork from crockpot and shred into small pieces.
- While shredding, reduce the mixture in the crockpot slightly. Put the shredded pork back into its juices and allow to soak up the juice to add tenderness.