Start your morning off with these delicious fresh strawberry muffins that are ready to eat in thirty minutes! You’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make strawberry muffins at home with easy-to-find ingredients. There’s no better way to enjoy strawberry season than with a perfect muffin to stat your day.
With kids in school and lots of activities, we have a lot of busy mornings around our house. Muffins are one of my secrets for busy mornings because I can whip up a batter in no time and get the kids ready while the muffins are baking.
Plus, one batch of muffins often lasts all week long! That’s why I’m so excited to share this easy muffin recipe to you – it’s a quick and delicious breakfast that your whole family will enjoy!
That and it’s currently strawberry season and these homemade strawberry muffins are a great way to use up fresh strawberries! Or just a good excuse to buy fresh strawberries to use specifically for these muffins!
Once you’ve made these easy strawberry muffins, make sure to try out some of our favorites like these banana chocolate chip muffins, egg breakfast muffins, and these monkey bread muffins. Any of them would be the perfect way to start your day!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make – in only a few steps and a half hour you’ll have a dozen perfect strawberry muffins ready to eat. You can’t beat that.
- Versatile recipe – easily swap out ingredients that you have on hand like the yogurt and milk. No need to spend excess money on new ingredients.
- Make ahead – nothing better than already having fluffy muffins on hand as an easy breakfast on the go or a midday snack.
- Self-rising flour – I use self-rising flour because it is quicker. If you don’t have any on hand you can substitute all-purpose flour but you’ll have to add 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for leavening purposes.
- Sugar – you can use brown sugar if you prefer a richer taste.
- Milk – any non-dairy milk substitute will work just fine.
- Yogurt – since the recipe calls for sugar it’s best to use a plain or greek yogurt just to add richness without making it too sweet.
- Oil – any type of mild oil will work such as canola or vegetable oil. You can also use avocado or coconut oil, but they will give off a subtle flavor.
- Strawberries – any type of strawberry will work, I used fresh berries because I had them on hand but frozen berries or dried will work as well.
How to make strawberry muffins
Ready for the easiest muffins you’ll ever make that didn’t come out of a box? This recipe is simply mix, fold, and bake! It’s really that simple.
Below you’ll find everything you need to make these easy muffin including detailed steps with pictures and the recipe card.
1- Prepare The Pan
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then prepare a muffin tin by adding muffin liners to the muffin cups.
2 – Make The Batter
In a large mixing bowl add the cups of flour and sugar (if you are using all purpose flour this is when you would need to add all the other ingredients as well.)
Whisk flour and sugar together until they are evenly combined. I recommend a hand whisk for this recipe because I’ve found a stand mixer and hand mixer tend to over mix the batter. And luckily, it’s not a ton of mixing, so it won’t weak you out.
Then in a separate bowl add the milk, yogurt, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk those ingredients together until they are fully combined and smooth.
After the wet ingredients are whisked together, add them to the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Then whisk all the ingredients together just until combined or there is no flour visible.
Then, with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the cup of strawberries to the muffin batter. The juicy strawberries will get crushed if you are not careful as you fold them into the batter.
3 – Bake And Serve
Now that the batter is finished, evenly spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Fill each paper liner until 2/3 of the way full. The batter will seem thick because of the yogurt but they will still come out as fluffy and tender muffins.
Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the muffins are slightly golden brown on top.
Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin and if it comes out clean then the muffins are finished. Another way to check if it is finished is by gently pressing on the top of the muffin. If it springs back and doesn’t leave an indent it is ready.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Let them cool on the cooling rack until they’re cool enough to handle and eat. You can either eat these warm or at room temperature!
These muffins are great served with a little butter, strawberry jam, or just on their own. They’d be perfect for an easy breakfast, a baby shower brunch, or any time you just want something delicious!
You could also wrap up a batch and put them with one of these berry gifts tags for a fun summer gift for a friend who needs a little pick me up!
Expert Tips And Storage Info
Do not over mix the batter, that will cause it to not rise as much and have a tougher texture. Stop when everything is just blended together.
Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top and use an oversized muffin tin for bakery style strawberry muffins.
Add a simple glaze for added sweetness like I did with my cranberry orange muffins. Simply mix together a tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, and 1 cup powdered sugar.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
To keep strawberry muffins fluffy, store in a flat container so that the muffins are not stacked on top of each other. Also, avoid over mixing the batter.
The self rising flour in these homemade strawberry muffins has leavening agents in it that react with the yogurt to make it rise.
You can use all-purpose flour in these strawberry muffins, but you’ll need to add 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to the flour mixture for leavening purposes.
More Easy Strawberry Recipes
If you’re looking for other great ways to use fresh strawberries, make sure to check out these delicious strawberry recipes.
- Strawberry mocktail – this fun kid-friendly drink uses fresh strawberries to brighten up its delicious flavor!
- Strawberry shortcake dip – if you like strawberry shortcake, you have to try this yummy dessert dip!
- Strawberry ice cream cake – a super simple ice cream cake that’s topped with lots of fresh strawberries!
- Strawberry poke cake – a simple poke cake topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries!
- Strawberry soup recipe – if you’ve never tried a chilled strawberry soup, this is a must-try dessert for summer!
Homemade Strawberry Muffins
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then prepare a muffin tin by adding a liner to each hole in the tin.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour and sugar. Whisk until they are combined.2 cups self rising flour, 1 cup granulated sugar
- In a separate medium bowl add all of the wet ingredients of milk, yogurt, oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk those ingredients together.1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup oil, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl. whisk all the ingredients together just until combined. Then with a wooden spoon gently fold in the chopped strawberries.1 Cup chopped strawberries
- Evenly spoon the batter into each muffin liner.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the muffins to check if they're done. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Let the muffins cool completely then serve!