Looking for a delicious pumpkin dessert? This pumpkin crunch cake recipe is easy to put together, only takes a few ingredients, and is one of the most delicious pumpkin desserts ever! It’s great for a fall festival, Halloween party, or to replace or compliment your pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving!
What is Pumpkin Crunch Cake?
One of the best things about getting married is gaining a whole new family in your in-laws. And with in-laws come all sorts of new traditions, new experiences, and new recipes.
This pumpkin crunch cake is one of those new recipes, and it is absolutely delicious. My family was never huge on pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, we were more a striped delight family. Or a linzer cookies type of family.
I’m happy to now have a yummy go-to pumpkin dessert for the fall lineup!
My in-laws call this Kauai Krunch Kake, but I don’t particularly like that name so I’m calling it pumpkin crunch cake.
There’s layers of pumpkin, layers of crunch, and it uses a cake mix – pumpkin crunch cake!
And it’s the perfect dessert after you enjoy a few of these Thanksgiving games!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake Ingredients
The reason this pumpkin crunch cake is one of my favorites isn’t necessarily because it tastes so good – it does – but because it’s so easy.
And it’s literally foolproof. Unlike pumpkin pie, it’s pretty much impossible to screw this up. Even my kiddo helps make it!
Here’s all you need to make this pumpkin crunch cake recipe.
- Pure pumpkin – we use Libby’s pumpkin but mostly because that’s the most readily available, anything works
- Sugar – regular white sugar
- Sweetened condensed milk – one of those cans you’d find in the grocery store. Same stuff I used in this Snickers poke cake!
- Melted butter
- Yellow cake mix – you can use whatever kind you want
- Chopped walnuts – or you can just buy regular walnuts and chop them on your own
- Whipped cream – homemade or the stuff in a can but homemade is so much better. Or you can also top it with vanilla ice cream, that’s my favorite!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe Video
Check out how easy it is to make this pumpkin crunch cake! It literally takes just a few minutes and remembering to take the cake out of the oven!
How to Make This Pumpkin Crunch Cake
The best thing about this recipe is that unlike pumpkin cinnamon rolls or Texas sheet cake, pumpkin crunch cake is something you just throw together, bake, and not think about it again until you’re enjoying it for dessert.
Here’s how to make it!
1 – Mix the pumpkin and spices.
Mix them in the dish you’ll be baking in and make sure to mix them up well so there’s spice throughout the cake.
2 – Top with cake mix.
Pour the cake mix over top of the pumpkin mixture making sure to spread it evenly across the cake. You want cake in every single bite.
3 – Top with nuts.
The nuts are what gives this cake its crunch. Don’t skip them unless of course you’re allergic to nuts but then you’ll probably want to call this something else like pumpkin smooth cake.
4 – Top with melted butter.
This crunch cake might be healthier if you skip the melted butter, but it won’t taste the same.
And honestly, it may not even work because the butter is what makes the cake mix liquid and mix together well with the pumpkin.
Moral of the story – don’t skip the butter. You can be healthy after the beginning of the year.
5 – Bake and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Or you could serve it at room temperature or even cool but kind of like you want a warm brownie for a brownie sundae, this pumpkin crunch cake served warm with vanilla ice cream is pretty much my favorite Thanksgiving dessert ever.
Other Holiday Recipes
- Best stuffing recipe
- Easy holiday punch
- Cranberry orange bread recipe
- Ginger molasses cookies
- Cauliflower puree (great low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes)
- Pumpkin cheesecake bars
More Thanksgiving Desserts
- Marshmallow cranberry fluff
- Pumpkin butter cake
- Butterscotch marshmallow tart
- Inside out apple pie
- Lemon meringue pie
- Baked apple roses
- Turkey cupcakes
- The perfect pie crust
- Gooey butter cake
- Cranberry apple pie
Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe
- 29 oz can of Libby's (or similar) Pure pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup walnuts , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Mix pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, eggs, and milk together. Pour batter into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle cake mix over top of the pumpkin mixture then pat down gently.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of cake mix then pat down gently.
- Pour melted butter over top of cake making sure to cover all of the cake mix.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.