This delicious bunny bait recipe is the perfect Easter treat when you want something sweet and simple! It’s an Easter snack mix recipe that you won’t be able to stop eating!
If you couldn’t tell already, I love homemade chex mix. And I love muddy buddies.
This bunny bait recipe combines sweet and salty ingredients in the perfect treat for an Easter party, to add to Easter baskets, or snack on during Easter movie nights (Peter Rabbit anyone)?
It’s a fun snack mix that you can enjoy all spring long or leave out for the Easter bunny if you want!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No bake treat – while you can heat treat the cake mix in the oven, you can also do it in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. Either way, this is still a delicious no bake recipe perfect for when you don’t feel like baking!
- Great for large groups – most Easter parties I’ve been to whether it’s class parties or at home Easter celebrations somehow have a lot of people. This recipe is an easy way to make dessert or a snack for a large group – and it’s just as easy to double or triple!
- Yummy Easter recipe – not only is this Easter Bunny bait snack mix easy to make, it’s also delicious! The combo fo the sweet and salty just works so well together! Plus, it’s pretty – one of my favorite things about it!
- White almond bark – you can use white almond bark, Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers, white candy melts, white chocolate chips, or really any white chocolate that will melt easily! Melted white chocolate is one of the key ingredients, so the quality is important!
- Easter M&M – I really like to use the regular Easter M&M candies in this for their pretty color. You could substitute these with another Easter candy if you prefer like Easter Sixlets or something similar. Stick with chocolate compared to something fruity like jelly beans (save those for these jelly bean cupcakes).
- Mini Cadbury Eggs – if you love mini Cadbury eggs, use them. If you don’t, you can use mini chocolate eggs like I used on my Easter bark instead.
- Pretzel twists – I like mini pretzel twists in this but if you only have pretzel sticks, you can use those. I recommend breaking them in half first so they fit a little better with the sizing of the other ingredients, but they taste fine!
- Mini marshmallows – I really like the pastel colored mini marshmallows in this bunny bait trail mix, but you culd also use regular ones if you’d prefer. It just won’t be quite as colorful.
- Funfetti cake mix – if you can’t find or don’t have funfetti cake mix, a regular cake mix will work as well, but it won’t have the same flavor. I’d say just wait until you can get funfetti! Use the leftover cake mix in this funfetti dip!
- Easter sprinkles – any Easter sprinkles work for this recipe, but I recommend sticking with ones that are easy to eat since they’ll be all mixed it. That means not a big Easter mix like this one that has the big balls that are awful to eat!
How to make this easy bunny bait snack mix
This easy treat can be made in just a few minutes and in just a few steps! Here’s a quick rundown of how you make this, keep reading for all the details you need to make this festive treat! And don’t forget to read the full recipe card for all the measurements and my tips and tricks!
- Heat treat the cake mix.
- Melt the almond bark.
- Combine the almond bark and cereal.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix!
1 – Heat Treat the Cake Mix
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven heats up, pour the funfetti cake mix onto a baking sheet. Once the oven preheats, bake the powdered mix for 5 minutes to kill any bacteria in the cake mix.
You can also do this in the microwave if you’d like, but it’s much easier in the oven!
2 – Melt the Almond Bark
Next, break up the almond bark into a large microwave safe bowl. Melt the almond bark in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until the melted chocolate is fully melted.
3 – Add the Cereal
Once the almond bark is melted and smooth, add in the cereal and pretzels. Gently stir to coat the pretzels and cereal with the almond bark. Be careful not to crush the rice cereal as you add it in.
4 – Finish the Bunny Bait Mix
Place the coated cereal and pretzels into a jumbo sized zipper top bag (or split it into two gallon size bags).
Add the powdered sugar and cake mix into the bag with the cereal mixture (or split between the two bags) and shake gently to coat the cereal and pretzels in the powdered sugar and cake mix.
Add the rest of the ingredients – marshmallows, spring sprinkles, and Easter candies like Easter M&Ms and Cadbury mini eggs – into the bags (or split between the two bags).
Shake to mix the add-in ingredients throughout the white chocolate coated cereal and pretzels to finish the bunny snack mix!
Pour the mixture back out into your favorite Spring or Easter bowl and serve as is or with a little white chocolate drizzle on top!
Expert Tips & Storage Info
Make sure to use a bag (or bags) large enough that you have space to mix the ingredients around so they can get evenly coated. If you try to put everything into one gallon-size bag, it may fit but you won’t be able to shake it to coat. You can also try to do this in a large bowl, but the bag option is much cleaner and easier.
Store any leftovers from this Easter bunny bait recipe in an airtight container either at room temperature one week or in the refrigerator for two weeks.
Double or triple this recipe easily to make a big batch by just increasing the ingredients! It’s a delicious treat for any upcoming spring parties or celebrations!
Make this for birthday parties instead of Easter by simply switching out the pastel candies that you’d use for Easter season with different colors that match your party! Or stick with the bright pastel colors if you want but switch out the candies for things that aren’t so Eastery. It’s also great as a favor to send home in individual treat bags!
You can use any of your favorite candies in this bunny snack mix – just stick with pastel Easter colors and Easter candies for a salty Easter snack mix that the whole family will love!
You can replace the almond bark with any white chocolate that melts – Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers, high-quality white chocolate chips, Belgian white chocolate, and more.
I don’t recommend using anything other than Rice Chex in this Eastern version of muddy buddies. The wheat and corn have a stronger flavor and just don’t taste the same as the rice.
More Easy Easter Treats
Try out one of these other easy recipes to complete your Easter festivities!
- Easter Oreos – adorable chocolate covered Easter Oreos that look like bunnies, chicks, and eggs!
- Chocolate covered Peeps – if you’re not a fan of white chocolate coating, try these milk chocolate covered Peeps instead! They’re adorable and delicious.
- Oreo Easter eggs – Oreo truffles in the shape of Easter eggs, another cute treat that’s also yummy!
- Homemade peanut butter eggs – like Reese’s peanut butter eggs but even better!
- Butterscotch haystacks – cute little treats that look like birds nests! Don’t like butterscotch? Try these chocolate nests instead!
- 1 ½ Cups funfetti cake mix
- 1 lb white almond bark
- 8 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups fruit mini marshmallows
- Easter Sprinkles
- 2 cups pastel M&Ms
- 2 cups Cadbury eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour the funfetti cake mix onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes to kill any bacteria in the raw cake mix.1 1/2 Cups funfetti cake mix
- Melt the almond bark in a large microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted.1 lb white almond bark
- Once the almond bark is melted and smooth, add in the cereal and pretzels. Gently stir to coat the pretzels and cereal with the almond bark. Be careful not to crush the rice cereal as you add it in.8 cups Rice Chex, 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- Place the coated cereal and pretzels into a jumbo sized zipper top bag (or split it into two gallon size bags). Add the powdered sugar and cake mix into the bag with the cereal mixture (or split between the two bags) and shake gently to coat the cereal and pretzels in the powdered sugar and cake mix.1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Add the rest of the ingredients – marshmallows, spring sprinkles, and Easter candies like Easter M&Ms and Cadbury mini eggs – into the bags (or split between the two bags). Shake to mix the add-in ingredients throughout the white chocolate coated cereal and pretzels to finish the bunny snack mix!2 cups fruit mini marshmallows, Easter Sprinkles, 2 cups pastel M&Ms, 2 cups Cadbury eggs
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and serve!