I didn’t know I loved eggplant until my husband said he was going to make eggplant rolls filled with my favorites – goat cheese, bacon, and pine nuts. And oh my goodness, these have become one of our go-to weeknight dinners because they’re so simple and delicious. Make sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom of this post for tons of other great weeknight meal ideas, the kind of meals you can just throw on the stove without thinking about!
These eggplant rolls are one of my favorite things that he makes. The combination of the eggplant with the crispy bacon, creamy goat cheese, and crunchy pine nuts is just delicious. And really as long as you have some way to grill the eggplant, this is a simple recipe to make. Enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 8-12 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- Goat cheese at room temperature
- Balsamic vinegar
- Kosher or coarse sea salt
- Olive oil
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Lay slices of eggplant out on cooling rack and sprinkle with coarse salt on both sides. Let sit for 45 minutes to an hour to pull bitterness out of eggplant.
- Pour 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in small pot and cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer until it reduces by about half. Remove from heat and let sauce cool.
- Slice bacon into small pieces and cook until crispy.
- While bacon is cooking, season arugula with a splash of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Toss lightly to coat.
- Heat grill or grill pan to high. Brush eggplant with olive oil and place on hot grill. Grill eggplant on one side for 3-4 minutes then flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes or until it is golden brown and has well developed grill marks.
- Top the grilled eggplant with crumbled goat cheese, spread the goat cheese on top of the goat cheese then top with pine nuts, bacon, and arugula.
- Roll the eggplants, starting on the smaller skinny end of the eggplant slice.
- Top with balsamic drizzle and additional toppings as desired.
Now as promised, here are 50 delicious meals that are perfect for those hectic weeknights when you don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen!