This is the best ever homemade chicken noodle soup with egg noodles because of just that – the homemade chicken noodles that go in it. It’s hot, flavorful, delicious, and full of easy to make homemade egg noodles that the whole family will love!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
When it’s cold outside I crave two things – hot chocolate and hot soup. I’ve been downing mugs full of this healthy hot chocolate on every cold day and at least once a week, I’ve been making this quick chicken noodle soup for dinner. It’s easy to make and even better the second day, so I like to make it on Sunday and eat for the next few days for lunch.
This recipe is a combination of a Rachael Ray chicken noodle soup recipe (with my own tweaks) combined with my Grandma’s homemade egg noodle recipe. If you want to skip the soup altogether, you could always just cook up the noodles in some chicken broth and eat the noodles. Not the best decision I’ve ever made, but I did it a lot during my college days when I was just craving these noodles.
A couple of years ago my grandma sent all of her kids and married grandkids a recipe book of all of her favorite recipes. It has some of the best recipes in it but a lot of them are missing pieces like how much salt or how to mix the ingredients together. These homemade chicken noodles were one of those recipes missing a few details, so I’ve filled in the blanks for you with this recipe!
The noodles are really the reason this chicken noodle soup is so good!
How to Make the Homemade Noodles for Soup
Making the egg noodles is actually a lot simpler than you’d think, definitely simpler than making regular pasta. You only need a few ingredients. The key is to make sure that you remember to do it ahead of time so the egg noodles have time to dry out a bit before you cook them.
Step 1 – Make your egg noodles by mixing eggs, flour, salt, and water.
Step 2 – Separate dough into balls.
Step 3 – Roll each ball out thin, cut in strips with a pizza cutter.
Step 4 – Let dry. I like to do it on a baking sheet lined with parchent paper or a Silpat so they don’t stick.
How to Make the Chicken Noodle Soup
Have you ever noticed that all Rachael Ray recipes take 30 minutes IF you are moving fast from start to finish? She obviously doesn’t have kids interrupting her cooking or someone coming to the door selling things. Or a cell phone beeping every few minutes with people wanting your attention. I pretty much never get to cook from start to finish without interruption. That being said, this recipe really can come together in 30 minutes or less if you’re focused.
I really like to make this recipe with rotisserie chicken because not only does it give it a great flavor, it also makes it that much faster without having to cook the chicken as well. One of my favorite secrets to add flavor to the soup is to throw in some of the skin from the rotisserie chicken with the oil in the very first step and cook the skin with the soup. Just make sure to remove it before you serve! The skin gives the soup an incredible flavor, more than just the seasonings themselves.
The seasonings are still good though if you prefer to stick with regular chicken and no skin!
I made a video to show you how to make the soup. It’s super simple – just cook up your ingredients and add in your chicken and noodles very last! One of my favorite go-to meals and one of my family’s favorite homemade chicken noodle recipes!
What to Serve with This Homemade Chicken Soup
- Strawberry spinach salad (this has the best dressing ever!)
- Kale Apple Salad
- Maple bacon Texas sheet cake (because all dinners need dessert!)
- French Bread
Don’t forget to pin this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe!
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 bay leaves , fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders (I like to use Rotisserie chicken), diced
- Homemade egg noodles (recipe follows)
- Fresh or dried parsley (optional)
Homemade Egg Noodles
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 6 T cold water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- Make your egg noodles (recipe below) so that they can dry while you're making the soup.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Work close to the stove and add vegetables and garlic to the pot as you chop, in the order they are listed.
- Add bay leaves and season vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken broth to the pot and raise heat to bring liquid to a boil.
- Add diced chicken to the pot, return soup to a boil, and reduce heat back to medium. Cook chicken for two minutes then add egg noodles.
- Cook soup an additional five minutes or until noodles are tender and floating to the surface. Remove pot from heat.
- Stir in parsley and/or dill. Remove bay leaves from soup and serve hot.
For homemade egg noodles
- Beat eggs until well mixed.
- Beat in water and salt.
- Stir in flour with a spoon until combined. Once combined, separate into three balls.
- Roll each ball out thin and cut into thins strips with a pizza cutter.
- Let dry on a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat to avoid sticking.