This easy buffalo chicken dip is made up of just a few ingredients and can be ready to go in minutes! Chicken doused with buffalo sauce gets layered with cream cheese, ranch, and lots of cheese on top for a creamy and delicious dip!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This baked buffalo chicken dip is just that – easy. It is literally five ingredients just layered on top of each other and baked in one dish.
Yep, I said one dish. That means clean-up is also easy. There’s a reason this dip is a staple at all of my family’s parties. I’ve tried a lot of chicken dip recipes in my day and this is by far the best buffalo chicken dip I’ve tried!
Pretty sure I make it anytime someone asks me to bring something to share because I always have buffalo chicken dip ingredients on hand.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No-Fail Recipe – as long as you don’t forget to take this out of the oven, it’s pretty hard to screw up. And those are my favorite kind of recipes!
- Amazing flavor – the combination of the buffalo sauce, creamy ranch dressing, and cream cheese are amazing together!
- Good at room temp – when you’re serving a dip at a party, you want to make sure it’s good served at room temperature since it’s likely going to be sitting for a while. This one is of course better warm but it’s also great once it cool downs a bit!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
Like I mentioned before, there are only five ingredients in this recipe and honestly most of them you probably already have at home. Here’s what you’ll need!
- Shredded chicken – you want cooked, shredded chicken. I prefer chicken breasts but really any boneless skinless shredded chicken works.
- Frank’s Buffalo Sauce – You could use any buffalo sauce but Frank’s Red Hot is a classic and what we use, so I guess technically you could call this Frank’s buffalo chicken dip!
- Cream cheese – you want to use the brick, not the spreadable kind, and you want it to be softened so it’s easily spreadable. I typically take it out of the fridge about an hour before I’m going to make this.
- Ranch dressing – I just use regular old Hidden Valley ranch dressing but you could use any favorite, it’s just for cutting the heat of the buffalo sauce
- Mozzarella cheese – I like mozzarella but if you have something else on hand, toss it in. I’ve tried it with shredded parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella and all are good. Mozzarella is just a personal favorite.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
I don’t know why I’m even writing out the steps for this dip – it’s so easy since it’s literally just combining buffalo chicken dip ingredients in a pan and baking. But here we go anyway! And if you’re more of a video person, you can watch the video below to see how this is made!
1 – Make the buffalo chicken.
Combine the shredded chicken and buffalo sauce together in a large plastic bag until all the chicken is coated.
If you like your dip with a lot of heat, add more buffalo sauce than the the recipe calls for. I wrote it to be mild so everyone could enjoy it!
2 – Spread the cream cheese.
Take your room temperature cream cheese and spread it along the bottom of your pan, creating an even layer along the entire bottom.
3 – Add your ingredients in layers.
Add the buffalo chicken in a single layer on top of the cream cheese and spread out so there is chicken across the entire dish.
Once the chicken is added, add the ranch dressing on top of the buffalo chicken – no need to mix it in. This will help cut the heat of the buffalo sauce. If you want it hotter, just add more buffalo sauce – keep the ranch.
Last but not least, top it with all sorts of yummy shredded cheese.
4 – Bake!
There’s a reason this is called a baked buffalo chicken dip recipe. Once all of your ingredients are in, bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and gooey.
Everything in the dish is already cooked so you’re really just heating things up and melting them together.
5 – Garnish and serve.
If you want, top the buffalo chicken dip with some parsley or sliced green onions (not my choice but I know people like it that way). Serve hot with chips, bread, and veggies. Celery sticks are especially good in this!
Go light on the buffalo sauce the first time you make it if you’re worried about it being too spicy. Then add more the next time around.
Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the dish with cream cheese so you can get all the flavors in every bite. The creaminess of the cream cheese is a big part of the dip!
Heat it back up in the oven for a few minutes if it sits out too long and the cheese is no longer gooey. Heating it back up will make the dip just like brand new.
Store the dip in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. Reheat in the oven and enjoy again and again throughout the week.
The dip can be as hot as you want it to be. The base recipe isn’t too spicy at all – just gives a nice buffalo flavor. It’s not as spicy as buffalo wings or a buffalo chicken sandwich but probably along the lines of Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich.
Want to make it spicer? Just increase the amount of buffalo sauce you add to the chicken.
Yes! If you’re planning to make this buffalo chicken dip for an upcoming party and want to do it ahead of time, simply make the dip and don’t bake yet. Keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake then bake right before you’re planning to serve.
Already baked it? Simply reheat and serve hot again.
Yes! The reason this dip is perfect for parties like Super Bowl is that it’s still good after sitting out for a few hours and still delicious eaten at room temperature. I wouldn’t leave it out overnight or anything but can definitely last for a few hours.
Reheating the buffalo chicken dip is as easy as making it in the first place. Just put the dish back in the oven and heat it back up. It’s almost better reheated before the flavors get to sit and mingle more!
Buffalo chicken dip is good with soft bread, crackers, tortilla chips, veggies like carrots and celery and really just about anything.
More Appetizer Recipes
If you like game day appetizers, you’re going to love these other delicious recipes!
- Queso fundido – this amazing dip is what you’d get if queso taco dip had a baby! It’s so good!
- Mini calzones – if you like pizza, you’ll love these bite-sized versions! Perfect for a game day snack.
- Bacon wrapped smokies – Bacon glazed in honey wrapped around little mini hot dogs, these are my personal favorite!
- Best spinach artichoke dip – this one is a crowd favorite and super easy to make!
- Pulled pork sliders – sweet pulled pork topped with a homemade cabbage slaw all on a sweet Hawaiian roll!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 lb chicken breast shredded
- 1-2 cups buffalo sauce based on preferred spice level
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine shredded chicken and buffalo sauce in a large plastic bag. Mix until all chicken coated with buffalo sauce.1 lb chicken breast, 1-2 cups buffalo sauce
- Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish16 oz cream cheese
- Add buffalo chicken in a single layer on top of the cream cheese.
- Pour ranch dressing on top of the buffalo chicken, don't mix in.1/4 cup ranch dressing
- Top chicken + ranch with shredded cheese.2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve warm with chips, bread, crackers, and veggies.