This coconut rice recipe is perfect when you’re craving Asian for dinner! It goes perfectly with sweet and sour chicken, Asian meatballs, or really anything tropical. Simply cook your rice with a little coconut milk then top with sweetened coconut for a delicious side dish everyone will love!
The Best Coconut Rice Recipe
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk cream spooned off and saved for another use
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Rinse the rice in cold water until water is almost clear.
- Mix all ingredients other than the shredded coconut together in the rice cooker.
- Turn the rice cooker on and let it cook just like you would normal rice.
- While the rice is cooking, toast the shredded coconut in a pan on the stove over medium heat until lightly browned. Make sure to watch and stir often to keep it from burning. As soon as it is browned, immediately move the coconut to another dish to keep from burning in the hot pan.
- Once the rice is done cooking, fluff.
- Serve topped with the toasted coconut.
I’ll let you in on a little secret, I almost always prefer the sides of a meal to the main dish. When we went to get barbecue for dinner last week everyone else ordered meat, meat, and more meat. And I ordered a three side dish – brussels sprouts, sweet potato fries, and mac and cheese.
If I could, I would really eat just sides for every meal because they are my favorite part of the meal, well other than dessert of course. This easy coconut rice recipe is probably one of my favorite sides ever and is perfect with Asian meatballs and a side of edamame or broccoli.
How to Make This Coconut Rice Recipe
There are some things that I just can’t do no matter how many times I try and cooking rice on the stovetop is one of them. It might have something to do with the fact that I get distracted and forget about it but every time I’ve tried cooking rice on the stove, I always end up with burnt rice on the bottom. And that my friends is why we bought a rice cooker.
We make this coconut rice using our super basic (one button that you switch on to cook) rice cooker, but I’m sure you could cook it on the stovetop pretty much the same way if you don’t have a super fancy rice cooker like ours. It really is probably on my top 10 list of favorite things we eat on a regular basis.
What to Eat with This Coconut Rice Recipe
- Asian meatballs with teriyaki sauce
- Hawaiian pork and pineapple skewers with a sweet glaze
- Balsamic chicken
- Anything with this easy Thai peanut sauce