Don’t want to actually bake cookies but want some cookie dough? This edible sugar cookie dough is loaded with sprinkles and safe to eat right from the bowl! It’s a delicious treat and perfect for curbing that cookie craving without actually waiting for cookies to bake!
But sometimes I don’t want to spend the time waiting for the cookie dough to chill or the cookies to bake. And sometimes I just want to eat a little cookie dough.
This edible sugar cookie dough is everything you want from a sugar cookie but in dough form instead of actual baked cookies. And it’s safe to eat!
This easy to make edible cookie dough tastes just like the real thing but it doesn’t require you to bake. It’s perfect for any occasion where you want a sweet treat but don’t have the time to wait for actual cookies.
It’s also a great addition to a cookie plate, makes a fun gift for the holidays, and a yummy birthday treat! I mean who doesn’t love eating cookie dough? This would be great to enjoy after playing some of these birthday party games!
So let’s get to it so that you can be eating edible sugar cookie dough a few minutes from now!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 5-ingredients – this recipe only requires five ingredients (plus sprinkles) and all of them are ones you probably have in your pantry and fridge right now. Know what that means – you can make this right now!
- Quick fix – this can be ready to start eating in under 15 minutes, which means it’s great for that sweet treat you want now!
- Fun for kids – when you add sprinkles to this mixture, it becomes a fun little surprise to let kids eat cookie dough, especially if they normally don’t get to.
- Butter – make sure that you’re using butter that is softened to room temperature. I also recommend using salted butter since there is no additional salt in this recipe. If your butter isn’t soft, you need to wait until it gets soft to make these!
- Sprinkles – these are totally optional but add a fun element to these cookies! I like to add some to the mixture and add some on top.
How to make edible sugar cookie dough
Ready to see how quick it is to make edible sugar cookie dough? The hardest part is easily the first step – heat treating the flour so it’s safe to eat. But don’t skip that step, it’s the most important step of the entire recipe and essential!
In order to make this safe to eat, you need to heat treat your flour. To do this, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Put the flour on the baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes (you want it to get to a temperature of 165 degrees) and remove it from the oven. Let it cool completely before adding it to your recipe.
While the flour is baking, cream butter and sugar together with a stand mixer using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. This typically takes a few minutes, so I like to do it while the flour bakes. Just don’t forget about your flour!
Next, add the vanilla, cooled flour and 2 tablespoons of milk to the creamed mixture and mix on low speed until dough starts to form a ball.
If the mixture seems too dry and crumbly you can add slightly more milk. Add more milk if mixture is too dry and crumbles, just like a teaspoon at a time.
Once the dough forms a ball, your edible sugar cookie dough is done.
You can either just eat it directly from the bowl or scoop it out into balls and roll in sprinkles (if desired) and serve as balls of cookie dough. Serve it up in bowls.
Or just eat by the spoon full – my personal favorite way to serve and eat!
These would also be a really fun gift. Put them into some sort of treat containers or jars with one of these Christmas gift tags or these Wreck it Ralph tags (all about sweets!) for the ultimate neighbor gift – just make sure people are home before dropping them off so they can refrigerate!
Make sure to bake the flour— this is not an optional step unless your flour specifically states that it is safe to eat raw.
Substitute brown sugar for the regular sugar if you want a more chocolate chip cookie dough taste.
Add sprinkles to the dough for more color and sweetness. Or just eat the sugar cookie dough plain.
Store sugar cookie dough in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
Regular sugar cookie dough is not safe to eat. Instead try this edible sugar cookie dough recipe that heat treats the flour and is made without eggs, making it safe to eat.
As long as you heat treat the flour properly in this recipe, this edible sugar cookie dough is safe to eat. The other ingredients are all ones that are eaten regularly without baking.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
If you like this edible sugar cookie dough, make sure to try out these other cookie recipes!
- Salted caramel toffee cookies – brown sugar cookies loaded with toffee bits and caramel, these are so good!
- Chewy monster cookies – the monster of all cookies, these are packed full of everything you can imagine!
- S’mores cookies – chocolate chip cookies topped with chocolate and a toasted marshmallow, these are a s’mores lovers dream cookie!
- Chocolate chip M&M cookies – super easy chocolate chip cookies with added M&Ms!
- Chewy snickerdoodles – if you like sugar cookies, you have to try these soft and chewy snickerdoodles with a sugar cookie base and a hint of cinnamon sugar flavor!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 TBS whole milk (depending on consistency desired)
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the flour on the baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes (you want it to get to a temperature of 165 degrees) and remove it from the oven. Let it cool completely before adding it to your recipe.1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cream butter and sugar together with a stand mixer using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy.1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Next, add the vanilla, cooled flour and 2 tablespoons milk to the creamed mixture and mix on low speed until dough starts to form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry and crumbly you can add slightly more milk. Add more milk if mixture is too dry and crumbles, just like a teaspoon at a time.1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 2-3 TBS whole milk
- Either eat immediately or form into balls and roll in sprinkles and enjoy!sprinkles