This fun DIY black flame candle craft inspired by Hocus Pocus is super easy to make and a fun addition to any Halloween decorations or witch themed party! Make it in minutes and light up a Hocus Pocus movie night with style and spooky glow!
There are a handful of iconic items that came out of the first Hocus Pocus movie including the infamous black flame candle also known as the Hocus Pocus candle that brought the Sanderson Sisters back from the dead on Halloween night in the movie.
I’ve already shared some fun Hocus Pocus cookies, spellbook brownies, and Halloween bookmarks that look like Winnifred, Sarah, and Mary so I thought it was about time to share my take on the black flame candle!
This fun DIY craft will give you your own replica that’s perfect for spooky season and cheap too! It’s perfect for fans of the modern classic Halloween movie Hocus Pocus. And great for the upcoming sequel, the new Hocus Pocus 2!
Just don’t light it on the night of a full moon or you might end up with some unwelcome visitors thanks to the magic of the black flame candle.
Or maybe that’s just a bunch of hocus pocus – I’ll let you be the judge of that! Mine will be lit for all of the nights of Hlaloween week but maybe, just maybe, not Halloween. I’m not taking any chances.
These would be a fun addition to any Hocus Pocus movie night, a Halloween craft night, or really just anytime you want a spooktacular craft to do!
Why You’ll Love This Craft
- Simple craft – if you like things simple, you don’t get much simpler than this! Print out the pattern, add it to the candle, and burn away! It’s my new favorite way to enjoy the fall season – to the light of the black flame candle!
- Fun holiday decor – even if you don’t really use it as a candle, it’s still pretty fun to have out with its chilling glow, especially for Halloween and Hallow’s Eve!
- Hand drawn witchy details – that pattern there? That was hand drawn to be similar to the one in the movie, which is pretty awesome right? And since it’s a printable pattern (that’s available at the bottom of this post), you can print it out and reuse it over and over again! Or make some for friends!
- Flameless candle – you can use really any flameless candle, but I used this LED one from Amazon for my post. Make sure you get batteries to go with it as well or you’ll be sad when your battery-operated candle doesn’t work.
- Wax candle – you’re going to use the wax candle to melt wax and drip it all over your candle, so I recommend getting something like the white wax candles that come in the clear glass jars from Dollar Tree. Then you can melt the max and just pour it straight from the inside of the jar onto your black flame candle.
- Tape – I recommend a tape runner or high-quality double-sided sticky tape or adhesive to connect the vellum to the candle. You want something that will keep the vellum on really well without being bulky or visible at all.
- Vellum – any vellum works as long as it’s translucent! Something like this from Amazon works great.
- Pattern – you can get the black flame candle pattern here or download it at the bottom of this post. This is hand drawn and works on flameless candles like the one you see in this post.
- Black paint – I recommend just using black acrylic craft paint but really any black paint will work as long as it’ll dry quickly.
How to make this DIY Hocus Pocus Candle
This is really simple to make – so simple that it’s really just a few steps and can be done in like five minutes! That’s why it makes a great idea for when you need something last minute!
And while this one may not be made from the fat of a hanged man, it’s still fun to make and use!
Start by painting the outline of the flame of your flameless candle black, leaving area in the middle for the light to shine through. This will give you an amazing light show when you turn it on in the dark, you’ll probably even be able to imagine the imagery of the Sanderson Sisters as they come back for their one night.
While the paint is drying, print the black flame candle printable pattern onto a piece of vellum paper. When you add it to the candle, it’ll look almost like a debossed design!
Once that’s printed, let it dry for a few minutes just to make sure it’s totally dry before handling it. I’ve had issues with printers, especially laser jet, not drying immediately and my designs smearing.
Once it’s dry, use scissors or a paper cutter to cut the design to fit your candle height.
Then carefully use the tape runner or adhesive to tape the velum around the candle. Since you’re using translucent vellum, it should just give you a nice clear design and make it seem like it’s actually on the candle. Try to keep your tape line as small as possible so you can’t see it taped on and try to put it at the back of the candle (if there is a back).
Press the tape down gently again with your thumb just to make sure it seals nice and tight.
Finally you’re going to add the wax candle drippings down the side of the candle to give it that realistic burned candle look, like the one in the movie. The candle jars like I mentioned make this super easy because you can pour directly from the pooled wax in the jar.
Burn the wax candle and carefully pour drippings of the wax down the edge of the flameless candle so it looks like it’s been burned even though you and I both know it’s battery powdered!
I recommend putting either a paper towel or an old towel underneath your black flame candle when you do this to catch any extra wax drippings that might dribble down to the bottom.
And that’s it – your DIY black flame candle is finished! You can now be ready for a Hocus Pocus movie night or party invitation at the drop of a hat! Just toss this fun spellbound accessory into your bewitching bag and head off to your witchy get together!
I recommend staying far away from Salem Forest but you know, to each witch their own.
Place a piece of scrap paper on your work surface before burning the wax candle. The scrap paper can catch any extra pieces of wax that don’t make it onto the candle.
Make these for fun Hocus Pocus themed gifts, movie night favors, or just for spooky Halloween decorations to add to your porch or movie room.
Randomly pour the wax down the candle instead of trying to do it in a specific pattern. The randomness of it looks so much better than trying to recreate a pattern since real candles don’t burn in patterns.
When you turn on this black flame candle, the light in the candle will light up and give off an eery black flame look while still allowing light to shine through so you can use it as a candle. It’s a fun and easy DIY craft to make inspired by the movie Hocus Pocus.
The Black flame candle is an iconic candle from the movie Hocus Pocus and well known to Disney fans around the world! There’s not a real black flame candle out there but this DIY version is a full alternative if you want your own for a Hocus Pocus party!
If you don’t want to make your own, you can buy one on Etsy here that resembles the one in the movie (and this one).
More Fun Halloween Crafts
If you’re into crafts and making your own Halloween decorations, try one of these fun DIYs!
- DIY Superhero costumes – easy to make superhero costumes that you can really do last minute!
- Easy ghost luminaries – simple ghost luminaries you can make with supplies from Dollar Tree!
- Printable Halloween decorations – everything you need for the ultimate Halloween party from cupcake toppers to party favors and more!
- Halloween party ideas – the best Halloween party ideas including tons of DIY decorations and crafts!
- Halloween backdrop ideas – simple Halloween backdrops that works for parties, decorations, photo shoots, and more!
Download the Black Flame Candle Pattern
Click the button below to download the hand-drawn black flame candle pattern! It will pull up a PDF that you can download and print to add to your candle!
DIY Hocus Pocus Black Flame Candle
- 1 white flameless pillar candle and batteries
- 1 piece translucent vellum paper
- 1 white wax candle
- black acrylic craft paint
- 1 piece scrap paper
- Start by painting the outline of the flame of your flameless candle black, leaving area in the middle for the light to shine through.black acrylic craft paint, 1 white flameless pillar candle
- While the paint is drying, print the black flame candle printable pattern onto a piece of vellum paper. Once it’s printed and the ink dry, use scissors or a paper cutter to cut the design to fit your candle height.1 piece translucent vellum paper
- Carefully use the tape runner or adhesive to tape the velum around the candle. Try to keep your tape line as small as possible so you can’t see it taped on and try to put it at the back of the candle.
- Burn the wax candle and carefully pour drippings of the wax down the edge of the flameless candle. Place a piece of scrap paper underneath to catch any drippings.1 white wax candle, 1 piece scrap paper
- Let the wax dry completely on the candle then enjoy.