These fun Halloween bookmarks look just like the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus and are perfect for any Halloween loving bookworm! Make the trio in just a few minutes with the free printable template and a few supplies from the dollar store!
Who else is excited for the Sanderson Sisters to return to the big screen (okay little screen – hello Disney Plus) next week? I’m pumped and if this viral TikTok video of a Hocus Pocus movie night bucket is any indication, so are a lot of people!
I’ve already shared a couple of fun Hocus Pocus themed ideas including these Hocus Pocus brownies but the next few days are going to be dedicated to the spookcatular trio of Winifred, Mary, and Sarah with fun crafts and movie night ideas to celebrate the sequel!
And even if you’re not excited for the new movie, you can still be excited about these fun DIY Halloween bookmarks because they’re simple to make, darling, and well just a lot of fun! They’d be perfect to make at a Halloween party before or after some of these Halloween games!
Why You’ll Love This Craft
- Inexpensive – everything you need you can get at the dollar store (okay, $1.25 store), which means these are really cheap to make!
- Cute – while you can use anything as a bookmark, these Hocus Pocus Halloween bookmarks are way cuter than a torn off piece of paper or random card you found laying around the house. Or is it just me that does that?
- Easy to make – I’ve created a printable template of each of the witches for you, so these are as easy to make as just cutting, gluing, and some very simple painting! Perfect for kids or grown up Sanderson Sister lovers!
- Patterns – you can get the printable pattern to download for the Sanderson Sisters right here.
- Felt – you can use any felt you want, but you’ll want to get it in cream, orange, gold, green, burgundy, purple, and black if you’re planning to make all of the sisters. I just grabbed one sheet of each color and kept the excess for other crafts! If you’d prefer to not use felt, you can also use craft foam, colored card stock, or construction paper with the same idea.
- Fabric paint – any fabric paint works great, I just used whatever you can get at the dollar store.
One thing to keep in mind when choosing your paints is how long you’ll have for these to dry. The cheap glitter glue works fine, but it does take a while to dry. If you’re looking for something that’ll dry quicker, you could go with more traditional craft paint or something else quick-dry.
How to make These Hocus Pocus Bookmarks
Let me begin by saying that it’s okay if yours don’t look exactly like mine. The beauty of crafts is that they don’t all have to look the same – so feel free to go outside the lines a bit and be a little creative. Craft your own spell one might say.
Or if you’re not feeling super crafty, you can stick to the step by step template and patterns I’m sharing with you! Either way is totally fine and will have you ending up with something cute!
1 – Cut the Felt
The first thing you need to do is to cut your felt. You’re going to be cutting this in three different steps:
- Cut the base.
- Cut the dresses.
- Cut the hair.
Start by cutting three long rectangles (2 inches wide by 11 inches wide) on the cream felt. These will be the base of your bookmark and what you will attach the other pieces to.
Next you’re going to print and cut out the patterns. You can just rough cut them, no one will know.
Once that’s done, use a straight pin to attach the dress patterns to the corresponding colors – Winnie’s dress to green, Sarah’s to purple, and Mary’s to burgundy. Use the patterns to rough cut the dresses in the felt.
Or if you’d rather not pin them, you can also trace the patterns onto the felt with a black marker and then cut them out that way!
Once the dresses are cut, move to the hair and do the same thing – Winnifred’s hair to orange, Sarahs’ to gold, and Mary’s to black.
Assemble the Bookmarks
Once you have all of your pieces cut out, it’s time to put them together.
One by one, use a glue gun to attach the corresponding dress and hair onto a cream rectangle base. If you’d prefer to not use a glue gun, you can use liquid glue, but you have to wait for it to dry before moving on.
Once you’ve assembled all the bookmarks, flip each one over and cut away any of the excess cream felt. Once that’s done, carefully cut the little sections off for Winifred’s collar and the other two sisters’ hair.
Add Details to the Sisters
Finish these bookmarks off by adding the detailed features to each of the sisters – lips, birthmarks, and and gold glitter stitching on each of their dresses.
You can use the templates a guide for where to put the additional details or just use your own creativity and imagination!
And that’s it – you’re not the proud creator of three cute Halloween bookmarks that look like the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus. You’ll never lose your place in the spell book again!
Test the fabric paint on a piece of cardboard or paper before adding it to your bookmarks. Make sure it’s just paint and not liquidy or you’ll ruin all of the hard work you’ve already done!
Make sure to let the paint all dry before you start using these bookmarks! Fabric paint can smear a bit if you touch it too quickly after applying the paint!
If you’d prefer to not use felt, you can also use craft foam, colored card stock, or even construction paper although the construction paper version will likely be a little flimsy.
You can download the Sanderson Sisters template right here, in the supply list at the top of this post, or under the download the pattern section at the bottom of this post.
More Fun Halloween Crafts
If you want some more simple Halloween crafts, try one of these fun Halloween ideas!
- DIY superhero costume – simple superhero costumes you can make totally last minute (or ahead of time).
- DIY Ghost luminaries – simple ghost luminaries made with the best Cricut accessories!
- Punch board game – this Ghostbusters themed punch game is a little crafty and a lot fun!
- Halloween candy sign – free printable Halloween candy signs and the cutest Halloween candy hand craft!
- Halloween backdrop idea – fun Halloween backdrops, perfect for parties and Halloween decorations!
Download the Bookmark Patterns
Click the button below to download the bookmark patterns. This will include patterns for Winnifred, Sarah, and Mary Sanderson – perfect for making these Hocus Pocus inspired Halloween bookmarks!
Hocus Pocus Halloween Bookmarks
- 7 pieces felt cream, orange, gold, green, burgundy, purple, and black
- Sanderson Sister Patterns
- Black and red fabric paint
- Gold glitter glue or paint
- Start by cutting three long rectangles (2 inches wide by 11 inches wide) on the cream felt.7 pieces felt
- Next you’re going to print and cut out the patterns.Sanderson Sister Patterns
- Use a straight pin to attach the dress patterns to the corresponding colors – Winnie’s dress to green, Sarah’s to purple, and Mary’s to burgundy. Cut out the felt using the pinned patterns.
- Once the dresses are cut, move to the hair and do the same thing – Winnifred’s hair to orange, Sarahs’ to gold, and Mary’s to black.
- One by one, use a glue gun to attach the corresponding dress and hair onto a cream rectangle base. Once you’ve assembled all the bookmarks, flip each one over and cut away any of the excess cream felt. Once that’s done, carefully cut the little sections off for Winifred’s collar and the other two sisters’ hair.
- Finish these bookmarks off by adding the detailed features to each of the sisters – lips, birthmarks, and and gold glitter stitching on each of their dresses.Black and red fabric paint, Gold glitter glue