This free spring scavenger hunt is the perfect way to get outdoors and enjoy the warmer weather that spring brings! Kids will have a great time finding all of the spring related item on this free printable spring scavenger hunt!
My kids are big fans of scavenger hunts, so I’ve shared tons of scavenger hunts over the years.
They really love ones like this Easter scavenger hunt that has them searching for things using Easter egg hunt clues, but they also like these ones where they just have to find things all around the house or outdoors.
Last year in the spring we did this outdoor scavenger hunt to get some fresh air over spring break, but I thought this year it was about time to make one that was specifically inspired by spring.
I mean what better way to celebrate the spring season than with a fun-filled scavenger hunt?
So I have the perfect printable spring scavenger hunt for you along with some great tips and tricks to plan the ultimate spring scavenger hunt that will be so much fun to do with your family and friends!
How to Do a Spring Scavenger Hunt
Start by making sure that you have all of the items on the list in your house or in the area where you’ll be doing the spring scavenger hunt. If you don’t have all of the items on the list, I recommend printing out pictures of the other items and hiding them somewhere around the house.
But I tried to make the list pretty universal, so that most people will have these spring themed items in their house, garage, or around their house. I also tried to make the list full of items kids would know what they are and could find.
Once you’re sure you have all of the items, it’s time to start the hunt!
- Print out one printable spring scavenger hunt for each person (or team) doing the hunt if you’re going to make it a competition to see who finishes first (best to do with older kids). Or if you just want to use this as a fun spring activity for kids, you can just print out one as well for them to share.
- When you say go, kids (or adults) have to go around and find the entire list of things on the scavenger hunt. If you’re doing this as just a fun activity, they can just find the items and cross them off on the list. If it’s a competition, have them bring back the item or take a picture on a phone to prove they found it!
- Once they complete the scavenger hunt, have a fun spring themed treat like these jelly bean cupcakes, these flower cookies, or these dirt cookies to celebrate finishing the hunt!
This is a really fun scavenger hunt to do at a local park or area that people are outdoors enjoying the beautiful spring weather if you don’t want to do this at home. A lot of these things can be found in a large park on a beautiful spring day.
Two Different Scavenger Hunts
One of the things that I get requests for the most are to share scavenger hunt ideas that younger kids can do (even younger than elementary age kids), so I decided for this spring scavenger hunt to make two different designs of the same hunt. The list of items is the same on both, the designs are just slightly different.
The first is a picture and word happy spring hunt that will have kids of all ages finding the things they see in the pictures (or the spring vocabulary words they read underneath the picture).
The second hunt is better for older kids, teens, and adults because it has just words in the list of items on this spring nature scavenger hunt. There are no pictures other than the scavenger hunt design but rather a list of words.
Choose whichever of the two spring scavenger hunt ideas you want to use and get to having fun finding the variety of items on either list!
Turn these printable scavenger hunts into a photo scavenger hunt! Send the group with a phone or camera and have them capture photos for an extra challenge! This is really fun if you’re having a group do this in the great outdoors and finding the variety of items while they’re out and about.
Print out this hunt then laminate it (or put it in a page protector if you don’t have a laminator). Then you can grab it for the next time you go on a nature walk or bike ride! It’s an easy activity to do while you’re doing other outdoor activities or even just in your own backyard!
Plan ahead. Make sure that you have all of the items on the list before you just print it out and give it over to the kiddos. There’s nothing more frustrating than doing a scavenger hunt that you can’t actually finish.
Set a time limit, especially if you are doing this as a first person to finish wins kind of thing. Give everyone their hunt and a time they have to meet back with the group before you let them go. Otherwise, people can get carried away and hunt forever.
Make it extra fun by turning it into a competition with groups competing to see who can find all of the spring themed items first! Spring is the perfect time for something like this because people will actually enjoy being outside in the warm weather!
Sure! While this spring scavenger hunt is a great excuse to get outdoors, you can also do this as an indoor activity. It’ll likely just be faster and include less fresh air and sunshine. But it’s still one of our favorite indoor activities for spring!
If you’re doing this outdoors at say a park, this can last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on how many people and things are around. If you’re doing this at home, it will likely be faster because kids know where things are rather than having to actually find them in the wild.
All you need for this spring scavenger hunt is the printed out hunt (download it below) and a pen or marker to mark things off as kids find them.
More Fun Spring Activities
If you want some more fun things to do during the spring, try one of these things to celebrate when the seasons change!
- Ladybug painted rocks – use this DIY tutorial to paint the most adorable ladybug rocks in minutes, perfect for kids of all ages!
- Nature scavenger hunt – one of our favorite nature activities that will have you finding things like a green leaf, smooth rock, and more things you’d find in the natural world!
- Tissue paper butterflies – this simple craft for kids is perfect for making these adorable insects come to life!
- Printable Earth Day activities – a ton of Earth Day worksheets to get kids enjoying the nature and spring!
- Field day games – tons of fun games that are perfect to play during the spring!
Download the Printable
Click the button below to get the free printable spring scavenger hunt. If you do not see the button below, click here to get the hunt.
The PDF will include:
- A spring scavenger hunt with images and words
- A spring scavenger hunt with just words