This delicious no bake butterfinger pie recipe combines peanut butter, chocolate, and Butterfinger candy bars in a creamy and refreshing dessert! Whip it up in minutes for Thanksgiving, Pi Day, a summer shindig, or a holiday party!
This no-bake pie is made of layers of creamy chocolate and peanut butter goodness on a chocolate Oreo crust, making this pie a must-try for any peanut butter lover.
This decadent pie is topped with crushed Butterfingers to give it just the right amount of crunch with the creamy filling.
You don’t get a better or more decadent Butterfinger pie than this easy recipe.
This recipe works great after Halloween when you have bags of Halloween candy laying around, as an easy dessert for Pi Day, or as a cool treat on a hot summer day. It’s one you will want to use over and over again, no matter what time of year.
So, pull that cream cheese out of the fridge so you can hurry up and make this easy Butterfinger pie already! And if for some reason you’re reading this post and don’t like Butterfingers, you should try my Snickers pie or Reese’s pie instead!
Why you’ll love this
- Full of flavor - the creamy Butterfinger filling is not lacking in peanut butter goodness.
- Make it your own – not a huge fan of Butterfingers, no problem change it out for your favorite peanut butter candy. Or change the Oreo for graham cracker crumbs to make it more to your liking. Take this base recipe and make it your own.
- Feeds a crowd – due to the richness of this dessert it can easily feed a lot of people and is a total crowd pleaser too!
- Oreo cookie crumbs – if you can’t find those, you can use regular Oreo cookies to make your own fine crumbs in a food processor as well. You can also try out a different cookie crust like Nutter Butter or graham cracker crust.
- Butter – unsalted butter, if you’re going to use salted then omit the salt in the crust.
- Cream cheese – I recommend full fat
- Creamy peanut butter – I recommend Jif or Skippy, natural peanut butter can separate.
- Butterfingers – any size will work for this. You can also try out another favorite candy bar such as Reese’s or Heath Bars.
- Instant chocolate fudge pudding mix – regular instant chocolate pudding mix works great too!
- Milk – I recommend using whole milk to give you the creamiest pie possible
- Semisweet chocolate chips – these are used to add to the top of the pie and are optional, mostly just for looks!
- Chocolate syrup – this is another one of those optional items to add a garnish on top
How to make Butterfinger Pie
This simple pie is so easy to make! You just have to make the Oreo Crust, make the filling, and chill! I’ve included step by step instructions with photos below as well as detailed information in the recipe card!
1 – Make the Oreo crust
- Start by using nonstick spray to lightly grease the inside of a 9-inch deep dish pie pan. You can also use a springform pan if you prefer.
- Place all of the Oreos in a food processor and pulse until they become Oreo crumbs. If you already have Oreo crumbs, you can skip this step!
- Add the Oreo cookie crumbs, melted butter and salt together in a medium mixing bowl and stir until everything is coated in butter. Make sure when you coat the ingredients that it is evenly coated, this will be the crust and you want it to stick together.
- Press the Oreo mixture firmly into the prepared pan making sure to evenly coat the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Chill the pie crust in the fridge for a few minutes while you mix together the filling. Chilling the pie crust will allow the crust to harden.
2 – Make the Creamy Butterfinger Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until fully mixed together and smooth
- Gently fold in two cups of the chopped Butterfingers and half of the Cool Whip. Turn off the mixer when the Cool Whip is completely mixed in and there are no more streaks of white in the mixture.
- Take the crust out of the fridge and pour the Butterfinger pie filling into it. Use a spatula and evenly smooth it out into the crust.
- Place back in the fridge while you make the pudding layer.
3 – Make the Chocolate Pudding
- Combine the chocolate fudge mixture and milk. Then whisk for 2-3 minutes or until the pudding is smooth and there are no more lumps. The mixture will feel thick.
- Add the pudding mixture on top of the Butterfinger cream cheese mixture. Gently spread the pudding mixture evenly on top with a rubber spatula. Cover with plastic wrap to chill for at least four hours or until you are ready to serve.
- When you are ready to serve, remove it from the fridge and add the remaining Cool Whip over the pudding layer. Gently smooth out the Cool Whip on top of the chocolate pudding using a rubber spatula.
- Finish the pie by sprinkling the rest of the chopped Butterfingers and the chocolate chips on top. Drizzle the top with the chocolate syrup. You can be creative and add a design or just add chocolate syrup to your liking.
Once the pie is done, put it back into the fridge to allow it to chill until ready to plate or serve immediately. Then simply remove it from the fridge, slice it up the pie, and serve!
Tips & tricks
Bake the crust in the oven for ten minutes at 350 degrees if you want a firmer crust. Make sure it is fully cooled before you begin layering the toppings on top of it. I recommend putting it in the fridge for 30 minutes to make sure it’s fully chilled.
Don’t skip chilling the crust before layering or it is more likely to crumble.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days.
Freeze this dessert for one month in an airtight container. Allow it time to unthaw before eating.
You do not have to use an Oreo crust for Butterfinger pie. You could switch it out with a traditional graham cracker crust, a shortbread crust, or even a Nutter Butter crust!
I would recommend only using a full fat cream cheese block. The whipped kind will not be as stable and could cause the pie to collapse.
This pie is a great option to make the night before a party or when you want to serve it. I recommend making the pie crust and topping with all of the Butterfinger pie layers. Leave off the final toppings until just before you’re ready to serve to keep them as fresh as possible.
More Easy Pie Recipes
If you like pie, you have to try out some of these amazing pie recipes. They’re some of our readers’ favorites!
- Easy custard pie – if you’ve never tried custard pie, you’re missing out! It’s like homemade custard but in pie!
- Chocolate chip cookie pie – all the flavors of a chocolate chip cookie in pie, best served with ice cream!
- No bake pumpkin pie – a creamy pumpkin pie that is similar to this Butterfinger one but with pumpkin flavor!
- Kool-Aid pie – this fun pie can be made in a bunch of different flavors with just a few ingredients!
- Brownie s’mores pie – a super simple slow cooker pie that combines s’mores and brownies in one amazing dessert!
- 2 ½ cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ⅛ tsp salt
Filling and Topping
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ cups chopped butterfingers divided
- 16 oz Cool Whip divided
- 2 3.4 oz boxes boxes instant chocolate pudding mix 3.4 oz each
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- chocolate syrup optional
- Use non stick spray to lightly grease the inside of a 9 inch deep dish pie pan.
- Add the oreo cookie crumbs, melted butter and salt together in a medium mixing bowl and stir until everything is coated in butter.2 1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/8 tsp salt
- Press the Oreo crust firmly into the prepared pan making sure to evenly coat the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Chill the pie crust in the fridge for a few minutes while you mix together the filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until fully mixed together and smooth.8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Gently fold in two cups of the chopped Butterfingers and only half of the cool whip.2 1/2 cups chopped butterfingers, 16 oz Cool Whip
- Take the crust out of the fridge and pour the Butterfinger and cream cheese mixture into it and smooth it out.
- Combine the chocolate pudding mixture and milk and whisk for 2-3 minutes. Put in the fridge to chill for five minutes and allow the pudding to set.2 3.4 oz boxes boxes instant chocolate pudding mix, 2 1/2 cups milk
- Once chilled, put the pudding mixture on top of the Butterfinger cream cheese mixture. Then cover and place back in the fridge for at least four hours.
- Once ready to serve, add the rest of the Cool Whip on top of the pudding layer.16 oz Cool Whip
- Sprinkle the rest of the chopped Butterfingers and the chocolate chips on top. Finish the pie with a drizzle of the chocolate syrup if desired.2 1/2 cups chopped butterfingers, 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips, chocolate syrup
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve then enjoy chilled.