This hash brown cups recipe is one of the easiest appetizers ever! Simply take some hash browns, combine them with a few ingredients, and you’ll have delicious hash brown cups to top however you’d like! These hash brown cups are great with chili, broccoli cheese, or even just all by themselves!
Hash Brown Cups Recipe
The hash brown cups were so simple to make and were fantastic topped with chili and cheese for dinner one night and broccoli, cheese, and bacon for lunch the next day. They would also be a great idea for holiday entertaining because they look fancier than french fries or a baked potato and taste just as good. And most recently, I made these into breakfast muffins with hash brown crusts and they were AMAZING!
Make Your Own Hash Brown Cups
Step 1 – Gather your supplies. This should be easy because there aren’t too many of them. Once you have your supplies, thaw your hash browns. You can either do that overnight in the fridge or you can run the frozen hash browns under hot water quickly to thaw. I did the latter.
Step 2 – Mix your thawed hash browns, olive oil, egg, cheese, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl until well combined.
Step 3 – Spray each cup of a muffin tin generously with a baking spray then fill each cup about 3/4 full with the hash brown mixture.
Step 4 – Using your fingers, make a cavity in the middle of the hash browns by pressing the mixture up along the sides of the cup. Make sure that you leave some of the mixture on the bottom so it forms a nice cup shape.
Step 5 – Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the edges are browned and crispy.
Step 6 – Let cool slightly then remove from the muffin pan by sliding a rubber spatula underneath.
You can also use this recipe to make delicious breakfast muffins with a hash brown crust, I just make the hash brown cups then top with an egg mixture and voila, delicious breakfast muffins! Here’s the full breakfast muffin recipe.
Don’t forget to pin these hash brown cups for later!
- 15 oz Ore Ida Frozen Shredded Hash Browns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beat
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican blend or mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray each muffin tin generously with baking spray.
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Fill each baking cup about 3/4 of the way full with the potato mixture.
- Using your fingers, make a cavity in the middle of the potato mixture by pushing the potatoes to the sides of the muffin cups. Make sure you leave a layer on the bottom of the cup (so don't make the cavity go all the way to the bottom).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until the outside edge if browned and crispy and all potatoes are heated through.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slide hash brown cups out using a rubber spatula.
- Serve hot topped with your favorite toppings - chili, broccoli and cheese, etc.