This easy guacamole combines fresh avocados with a delicious mix of spices and lime juice for a dip that’s bursting with flavor and perfect for eating with your favorite chips!
We’re a big fan of Mexican food at our house. I’ve already shared most of our Mexican night recipes – homemade taco meat, chicken tacos, the best basmati rice, white chicken enchiladas, and just recently the caramelized corn we use in this layered taco dip!
My husband has been making this easy guacamole for years – literally years. it’s in a recipe book that he created in the first years of our marriage, so probably about 15 years ago.
It’s the perfect addition to tacos, burritos, or just to enjoy with chips and salsa for a Super Bowl party or game night.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fresh ingredients – this is made with just fresh ingredients plus some spices, which means the flavor is super fresh and will remind you of tableside guac in your favorite restaurant!
- Avocado heavy – unlike many recipes that use a lot of other things (corn, pomegranate seeds, diced tomatoes, etc.) in their guacamole, this one is straight avocado with spices blended in. If you love avocado, you’ll love this.
- Easy to make – this may be the easiest recipe on my site. Peel, mash, mix, and eat!
- Customizable – since this is just avocado and spices, you can determine how chunky you want the dip based on the tools you use to mash and mix.
I know that many guacamole recipes include onions. Onions make me sick, so my husband has found all sorts of ways to get amazing flavor without them.
This easy guacamole is one of those non-onion but still delicious recipes (this white chicken chili is another). You’ll never miss them!
Also, I didn’t list them in the ingredients but another necessity is tortilla chips for dipping! Or if you’re using this for chicken tacos or a sandwich or something, I guess you can skip those as well!
- Fresh lime juice – fresh lime juice is best in this recipe but if you don’t have fresh limes, bottled lime juice will work in a pinch.
- Cilantro – we are cilantro lovers in our house but if you’re one of the people who don’t like cilantro, you can skip this.
- Avocados – you’ll want to make sure that your avocados are nice and ripe. Either pick ripe avocados (great tips for picking avocados here) or let them ripen at home. Before you get started, make sure to pit and peel your avocado.
How to make Guacamole
Start this yummy guacamole by combining the avocado and lime juice. Toss until the avocado has been completely coated.
Next you’ll add the garlic, kosher salt, cumin, and chili powder and toss to combine. You can adjust the amount of spices to your taste. This recipe is written to our taste, and I think it tastes pretty amazing, but if you like more or less of a spice, go for it!
Using a fork or potato masher, mash the avocado and spices to your desired consistency. Less mashing for chunky guacamole; more mashing for creamy guacamole.
Finally, add the cilantro and stir to combine if using. Make sure it’s chopped fine so it just adds to the flavor and people don’t just get large chunks of cilantro.
Once completely combined, serve fresh with your favorite tortilla chips!
Change up the texture of the guacamole by mashing less. If you want more chunky guacamole, mash it less and use a whisk instead of a masher. If you want something creamier like mashed potatoes, use a masher and mash it until it gets to your desired level of creaminess.
Make small batches of guacamole to enjoy with tacos and larger batches if you’re planning to serve it at a party. For a small batch, use half the avocados and use extra avocado for this Southwestern chicken salad.
Store guacamole in the refrigerator by placing it in an airtight container, adding a very small layer of lukewarm water on top, then sealing. The water will keep the guacamole from browning.
Guacamole is typically not just smashed avocado. Instead it’s smashed avocado with a variety of spices and herbs like cilantro mixed in.
More Easy Dips
If you like guacamole, you’ll love these other easy dip recipes!
- Brownie Batter Dip – this dip is a chocolate lover’s dream! Brownie mix, chocolate, and whipped cream all mixed together in one luscious dip.
- Buffalo chicken dip – the best buffalo chicken dip you’ll ever try! It’s super easy to make and the flavor is amazing.
- Fruit salsa – a simple fruit salsa with homemade cinnamon chips makes a great family-friendly snack!
- Queso fundido – cheese, homemade chorizo, and all things good in this delicious traditional Mexican dip!
- Spinach artichoke dip – a popular favorite with pretty much everyone, this particular spinach artichoke dip is creamy, baked, and delicious!
- 2 ripe avocados (peeled and pitted)
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove minced garlic)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine the avocado and lime juice and toss until the avocado has been completely coated.
- Add the garlic, kosher salt, cumin, and chili powder and toss to combine.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash the avocado and spices to your desired consistency. Less mashing for chunky guacamole; more mashing for creamy guacamole.
- Add cilantro and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately for best flavor.