Be transported to the wonderful world of wizards when you bite into one of these scrumptious pumpkin pasties. Give your tastebuds a magical treat with this light puff pastry shell and sweet pumpkin filling. A perfect treat for the fall or your next Harry Potter event.
No need to go running through the pillar to platform 9 3/4 or board the Hogwarts Express to enjoy this classic trolley cart treat, even if you want to.
Instead, enjoy the delicious pumpkin pie spice filling and golden brown pastry in the comfort of your own home without the hassle of taking a trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
These homemade pumpkin pasties are perfect for any themed fall party, regardless if you are a fan of the Harry Potter movies or Harry Potter books. Harry Potter fans will agree these sweet pumpkin pasties rival those found at Universal Studios with surprisingly minimal effort involved. They are so simple, they might just be magic after all.
Why You’ll Love This pumpkin pasties recipe
- Simple yet delicious – no need for a wand to make this pumpkin pastry, instead just follow a few simple steps and you’re ready to impress.
- Easy to find ingredients – despite pumpkin season being in fall, you can find everything you need to make these year-round. With just this recipe, you’re all set to celebrate Harry’s birthday in July without having to forgo the classic trolley cart treat.
- Customizable – easily make these delicious pumpkin pasties more Harry Potter themed by changing up the design on the top to the lightning bolt or adding pie crust decorations of classic Harry Potter shapes like his glasses or the Deathly Hallows symbol.
- Pie dough – both store-bought dough and homemade pie crust will work for this.
- Pumpkin puree - I used store-bought for convenience but again you can make your own if you’d prefer. Also, make sure you’re getting pumpkin puree (also called pure pumpkin) and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Spices – you can omit any of these without a problem or add in your own favorite spice such as pumpkin spice. You won’t want to omit all of the spices or the filling will be bland and lacking warmth.
- Ground cloves – make sure you’re using ground cloves and not the whole ones. Those would be gross.
how to make pumpkin pasties
You’re only a few steps away from delicious Harry Potter-inspired pumpkin pasties. Keep reading for full instructions and the recipe card at the bottom.
1 – Prep Ingredients
Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Next mix pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and ginger in a large bowl.
2 – Assemble Pasties
To make the pasties, roll out the refrigerated or homemade pie dough and cut little circles out of the dough. I use a large glass cup for the circles but you can also use a circular cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.
Once cut, place the circles onto the prepared baking sheet.
You can re-roll the excess pie dough with a rolling pin to make more pasties, but the dough may be tougher than the first batch. You could also just use the excess dough to make these pie crust cookies.
Use a tablespoon and scoop one heaping tablespoon of the spiced pumpkin filling onto the pie crust circles.
Fold over the dough circles in half so the filling is inclosed and pinch the ends closed with a fork by pressing down gently on the edges of the folded over sides.
To make these Harry Potter pumpkin pasties, take a sharp knife and cut a lightning bolt onto the top of the pasties.
If you want to make these as a delicious treat without the Harry Potter theme, just cut a small slit on the top of the pasties for a vent. You can also decorate them with dough cut-outs, just make sure to provide a vent somewhere along the design.
Next, in a small bowl make an egg wash by whisking one egg really well and then add one teaspoon of water and keep whisking until combined. I usually just use a fork and whisk quickly.
Brush the egg wash over each over the pasties, and sprinkle with sugar. If you want to give them a prettier look, you can use coarse sugar instead of the regular sugar as well.
3 – Bake And Serve
Bake these magical pasties for 5-6 minutes or until they are a golden brown color! Remove from oven then serve warm or at room temperature with a glass of butter beer.
Just be careful if you eat these right out of the oven because the insides can be very hot even if the outside has cooled down slightly. Eat them slow and carefully so you don’t burn your mouth! Then you won’t be able to taste any of your other Harry Potter food!
Expert Tips And Storage Info
Make sure the pre-made pie crusts are room temperature so they roll out easily without tearing.
Add food coloring to your egg wash to change the color of the pastry. I don’t typically do this for the Harry Potter version of these but if you just want them as a fall dessert, it’d be fun to change it up!
Store at room temperature for up to three days in an airtight container. Warm them back up in the oven or eat them chilled if you prefer!
Pumpkin pasties originated as a sweet take on the British cornish pastry, which is filled with savory meats and veggies.
You can eat pumpkin pasties warm, cold, or any temperature you prefer. I personally love them warm and right out of the oven, but they’re delicious at any temperature.
You can find pumpkin pasties in Hogsmeade at Honeyduke’s or at Sugarplum’s Sweet Shop in Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida.
More Fun Harry Potter Ideas
If you’re a Harry Potter fan, make sure to check out these other fun Harry Potter ideas!
- Harry Potter coloring pages – tons of free printable coloring pages of all of your favorite wizards!
- Harry Potter trivia – easy and more challenging Harry Potter questions for the trivia fans!
- Harry Potter party games – everything from a homemade Quidditch game to guess who!
- Harry Potter scavenger hunt – a fun riddle based scavenger hunt inspired by the movies!
- Harry Potter would you rather – rather be a Hufflepuff or a Griffindor? Fight a dragon or a weeping willow? Tons of great questions inspired by all of your favorite Harry Potter movies!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 TBS brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, clove, and ginger in a medium bowl.1 cup pumpkin puree, 4 TBS brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Roll out the refrigerated pie dough and cut little circles out of the dough with a glass cup. Then place the circles onto the prepared baking sheet.2 refrigerated pie crusts
- Use a tablespoon and scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture onto the pie crust circles.
- Fold over the dough onto the other side and pinch the ends closed with a fork.
- Take a sharp knife and cut a lighting bolt onto the top of the pasties.
- In a small bowl make an egg wash by whisking one egg really well and then add 1 teaspoon of water and keep whisking until combined.1 egg
- Brush the egg wash over each pastie and sprinkle with sugar.1 TBS granulated sugar
- Bake the pasties for 5-6 minutes or until they are a golden brown color.