This Velveeta sausage cheese dip is a zesty, cheesy, and delicious party dip that’s so easy to make, it’s a recipe worth sharing! It’s one of our family’s favorite Super Bowl appetizers, but we also love it for movie nights and all kinds of celebrations.
This irresistible gooey dip made of Velveeta, cream cheese, and juicy sausage hits the spot every time. Watch how quickly it disappears!
Easy Cheesy Velveeta Sausage Dip
There are three kinds of people in America. Those who watch the Super Bowl for the game, those who watch the game for the food, and those who appreciate both!
As a huge Chiefs fan, I’ve hosted a number of Super Bowl parties over the past few years (go Chiefs!), and I know how important food can be to the experience! This is the first of a few delicious apps I’ll be sharing soon that would be perfect for eating while you watch the big game!
Wherever you fall on the Super Bowl spectrum, this Velveeta sausage cheese dip has to be on your must-make this year. It’s easy, cheesy and full of chunks of juicy sausage for a hearty bite.
Also known as Rotel dip in some circles, when it comes to Super Bowl party ideas, this cheesy dip is always a crowd favorite during football season!
And if you’re not into Velveeta, you can try this queso fundido instead! It’s another great option that includes cheese and hot sausage!
Why you’ll love this
- Easy – this cheesy sausage dip only uses six simple ingredients that are easy to grab at the grocery store, plus it’s ready to go in under 30 minutes!
- Customizable – there are substitutions you can make to suit your preferences that won’t diminish the flavors. Make it as mild or spicy as you like, swap the sausage for ground beef or the Rotel for salsa.
- Versatile – Velveeta and sausage cheese dip is a hit no matter the occasion! Serve it at girls’ night, family movie nights, an after-school snack, or at all your holiday parties!
- Ground sausage – use Italian pork sausage, mild country sausage, breakfast sausage, chicken or turkey sausage, you name it.
- Velveeta cheese – cut into ½ inch cubes for faster melting, this is the stuff that melts so beautifully and creates a creamy cheesy base to the entire Velveeta sausage d dip.
- Cream cheese – use a block of full-fat cream cheese for a thicker, richer consistency.
- Rotel – a can of Rotel tomatoes has diced tomatoes and green chiles and comes in a variety of spice levels, so choose one according to your family’s tastes. I typically go with the original Rotel (mild) if I’m serving this to a crowd like on Super Bowl Sunday!
Double the Recipe!
If you are making this sausage queso dip for a large crowd, it’s simple to double the recipe! Just double all of the ingredients so you are using a full lb sausage, a full box of Velveeta cheese, and two cans of Rotel!
How to make Velveeta and Sausage Cheese Dip
This easy appetizer is really one of the easiest cheese dips ever! It’s literally just browning the sausage, melting the cheeses, and mixing it all together!
You’ll be on your way to having a creamy sausage dip in no time!
1 – Prepare the Sausage
- Start by browning the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Break it apart into crumbles with a spatula and cook until cooked through and golden brown. Once done, drain any excess grease and set the browned sausage aside.
2 – Melt the Velveeta cheese
- Cut the Velveeta cheese into ½ inch cubes for quicker melting and set it aside.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine the Velveeta cubes and cream cheese. Stir continuously (to keep the cheese from sticking to the bottom and burning) until the cheeses melt into a smooth consistency.
- After the cheese has melted, stir in the milk until it is fully mixed into the cheese mixture.
3 – add the rotel and sausage
- Open up the can of Rotel and add both the Rotel and the browned sausage to the cheese mixture. Stir them in until they are evenly incorporated into the cheese.
- Season the cheese with the salt and pepper to taste, being careful not too add too much salt as there is already salt in the Rotel and in the sausage. Stir until mixed thoroughly into the dip.
4 – serve
- Pour the sausage cream cheese dip into your favorite serving dish and serve right away warm with tortilla chips or your favorite salty chips! This would also be good with anything you might serve with cheese dip – baguette slices, pretzels, crackers, or even fresh veggies!
How to make crock pot sausage cheese Dip
Make this a crockpot sausage cheese dip by simply adding the Velveeta, cream cheese, and milk together in a small crockpot. Turn it on high and allow it to cook for 2-3 hours until the cheese is completely melted!
A few minutes before you’re ready to serve, stir in the browned sausage and rotel – let it warm up then serve straight from the crock pot! This is a good idea if you’re going to be hosting people for a while and want the food to stay warm!
Expert Tips & Storage Information
Swap the Rotel. Use two cups of your favorite salsa using whatever heat level you like. I recommend mild.
Make it hot! If you want even more heat with a spicy Rotel or salsa, you can sprinkle in some hot sauce or add diced jalapenos. This gives this classic cheese dip a little extra heat!
Store leftovers. Keep sausage cheese dip stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Reheat before serving. Use either the microwave for 30 seconds or put it in an oven-safe container and reheat in the oven
The easiest and most reliable way is to transfer it to a crockpot and leave it on the warm setting. This way, it’ll stay cheesy and melty during the festivities. You may just need to stir it once in a while.
If you want the Velveeta cheese dip to be less thick, you can add a little more milk until it reaches the thickness you’d like.
It is best served the day it’s made, but lucky us, it keeps fresh for up to one week if we’re looking for leftovers!
All your favorite dippers! We love it with a bowl of corn chips, but we’ll also have an assortment of dippers like raw veggies like celery and carrots, crusty bread, soft pretzels, and pretzel bites. You can’t go wrong with a plate of assorted crackers either.
More Easy Dips
Game day is a great time for a tasty dip or two and these are some of our favorites! Not planning to watch a game any time soon? Try one of these dips the next time you host games night or a movie night!
- Layered taco dip – a layered dip means you get a bit of everything in one scoop including taco meat, corn, black olives, and loads of cheese!
- Buffalo chicken dip – all the zesty, tangy, and delicious flavors of Buffalo chicken in the form of a tasty dip you bake in the oven!
- Spinach artichoke dip – you can never go wrong with this great dip. Serve it in a dish with your favorite dippers or a bread bowl for bonus points.
- Fruit salsa – fresh fruit combined with a bit of sugar and a sweet jam makes this easy dip the perfect refreshing sweet treat.
- Fruit dip – made with just four ingredients, this creamy dip is exactly what you want to dip your fruit in!
Velveeta Sausage Cheese Dip
- ½ lb ground sausage
- 1 lb Velveeta cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 10 oz Rotel
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by browning the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Break it apart into crumbles with a spatula and cook until cooked through and golden brown. Once done, drain any excess grease and set the browned sausage aside.1/2 lb ground sausage
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine the Velveeta cubes and cream cheese. Stir continuously (to keep the cheese from sticking to the bottom and burning) until the cheeses melt into a smooth consistency.1 lb Velveeta, 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- After the cheese has melted, stir in the milk until it is fully mixed into the cheese mixture.1/4 cup milk
- Open up the can of Rotel and add both the Rotel and the browned sausage to the cheese mixture. Stir them in until they are evenly incorporated into the cheese.1 10 oz Rotel
- Season the cheese with the salt and pepper to taste, being careful not too add too much salt as there is already salt in the Rotel and in the sausage. Stir until mixed thoroughly into the dip.salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the dip into your favorite serving dish and serve right away warm with tortilla chips or your favorite salty chips!