A simple and delicious sausage jambalaya recipe that’s easy to make and will keep your entire family happy! This sausage jambalaya recipe is filled with spice, sausage, and a lot of southern flavor! It’ll become a staple on your family’s monthly meal plan and is a great option for anyone who loves sausage jambalaya from the south!
Easy Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
If any of you have had a baby, you’ll know that the last thing you want to do immediately after is cook. This recipe was created the week after I had my little guy last year when nobody wanted to cook.
Okay, who am I kidding? I never want to cook unless the recipe calls for at least a cup of sugar like this maple bacon Texas sheet cake.
Luckily, one of my husband’s favorite things to do is cook, and he’s one of those people that can look into a fridge and come up with a delicious recipe out of thin air. Like this cajun sausage jambalaya.
This jambalaya is one of my favorite things that my husband makes, and he makes a lot of great food.
Sausage Jambalaya Ingredients
How to Make Sausage Jambalaya
Making this jambalaya is so easy, anyone could really do it!
1 – Brown your sausage.
You’ll cut some of your sausage into rounds and some into diced sausage. Brown the rounds by sauteing them in oil over medium heat then remove with a slotted spoon. You’re going to want those drippings!
2 – Cook the veggies.
Cook the veggies along with the diced sausage in the leftover drippings. You’ll want to cook until their browned and slightly softened but not too long so that they get soggy.
3 – Add your spices.
Add in the spices and mix into your veggies. Don’t cook too long, just about a minute before moving onto the next step.
4 – Add the rice and cook.
Now is when you’re going to add in the rice and chicken broth then cook it all together. You’ll bring the mixture to a boil then simmer until the rice is fully cooked. If you go against my recommendation and use brown rice, you should double the amount of time you cook the rice at least.
5 – Add the sausage and serve.
Add the browned rounds of sausage back in and serve hot!
I’ve made a video to show you just how easy it is – it’s one meal you can have to the table in 30 minutes or less, easy!
Sausage Jambalaya Recipe FAQs
I get a lot of the same questions about this sausage jambalaya, so I’m just answering the most popular ones here. If you have other questions, feel free to leave comments and I’ll do my best to respond quickly!
What kind of meat goes in jambalaya?
Jambalaya can be made with all sorts of meats – chicken, shrimp, smoked sausage, andouille sausage, and more. This particular sausage jambalaya recipe is made with smoked sausage.
What is the best rice for jambalaya?
The best rice for jambalaya is regular white rice. Not brown rice, not jasmine rice. Just plain old white rice.
How do you thicken jambalaya?
To thicken the jambalaya, simply let it simmer a bit longer so that the rice and veggies soak up all the liquid. No need to add anything else – just give it a few more minutes!
What goes good with sausage jambalaya?
Since it’s kind of a one-pot meal all in itself, I’d probably just go with one or two of the items from this list – a salad and a dessert! You could also just eat it as a one-pot meal and not worry about anything else!
Easy Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 lb . package smoke sausage , 1/4 diced and 3/4 sliced into rounds
- 3 medium carrots , peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks , diced
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kofte mix
- 1 1/2 cups white , long-grain rice, rinsed and dried
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage rounds (keep the diced sausage for later) and cook until browned and carmelized. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to leave the drippings behind.
- Add the carrots, celery, and diced sausage and cook until slightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, and dried spices to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rice is done.
- Remove the lid and stir in the sausage and serve.
More Easy Sausage Recipes:
- Sausage breakfast casserole with bread
- Sausage gravy breakfast pizza
- Sausage breakfast burritos
- Whole 30 zuppa toscana
- Easy sausage banh mi recipe
- Bosnian burek recipe
Don’t forget to pin this sausage jambalaya recipe for later!