Who can hang onto their bag of Skittles in this fun chase the rainbow game dice Skittles game? A family-friendly game involving dice, rainbow candy, and a little luck! Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, a rainbow baby shower, a unicorn party, or any time you just want to have a little rainbow themed fun!
I love dice games. I don’t know if it’s just the element of luck involved with rolling dice or how versatile dice games can be when you add different options to each side, but I love them.
Or maybe it’s just because this dice gift exchange game went so crazy viral that I’ve been obsessed with dice games ever since then!
I also like color. And candy.
This fun Skittles dice game that I’m calling chase the rainbow combines all of those things into one super simple, super fun game!
You roll, you hope for the best and try to keep your Skittles until the very end! Last person with a bag of Skittles wins!
It’d a great addition to any St. Patrick’s Day games you have planned, perfect for many of these girl baby shower themes, or even for a unicorn party! You could play it along with this roll a rainbow game for an entire rainbow themed day!
The possibilities are endless and I can guarantee that people will love it because dice, candy, and fun are involved!
I might also love dice games because typically they don’t take much at all to play. All you’ll need is:
- Chase the rainbow game cards – get them at the bottom of this post or in my shop here.
- Fun-size Skittles – one per person PLUS three extras to start in the center
- Shallow bowl or basket – you’ll put this in the center of the circle
- Dice – A rainbow die like this one would be super but fun you could really use any kind. Even better if they’re jumbo dice like this DIY dice so everyone can see what gets rolled!
How to Play
Let’s start with the object of the game because once you see the object of the game, you’ll understand really how this works.
The object is to be the last person with a bag of Skittles in their possession. That person wins.
Throughout the game Skittles will be put into the middle, taken out of the middle, and passed around the circle – kind of like in one of my favorite birthday party games!
Your only goal is to be the last person with a bag of Skittles.
Alright so now let’s talk about how to actually play!
Give everyone one bag of Skittles and have them sit in a circle. Put the bowl/bucket in the middle of the circle and place the three extra Skittles in the center.
Give someone the die and start playing.
On your turn, you roll the die and follow the instructions based on what you roll.
- Pass right – you pass ONE piece of candy to the right (no one else does) even if the person next to you already has a piece of candy, now they just have multples.
- Pass left – you pass ONE piece of candy to the left just like above.
- Place one in the center – you place one piece of candy in the center even if you have multiples.
- Place ALL in the center – you place all of your candy in the middle regardless of how many you have!
- Take one from the center – take one piece of candy from the bowl in the center, if there is no candy in the bowl you’re out of luck.
- Switch seats with anyone – this does two things, when you switch seats the candy stays with the seat, so you can choose which pile of candy you want. This ALSO allows you to put yourself in the center of the most candy (great if your neighbors have very little).
Once they’re completed their action, pass the dice clockwise in the circle to the next person and they roll.
Keep going around the circle rolling the dice, passing candy, and putting candy in the center.
Once you get through the entire circle once, things get a little more crazy as you pass the dice around for a second round.
If you have candy in front of you, you roll. If you do NOT have candy in front of you, you do NOT roll. You aren’t out of the game however as your neighbors can still pass you candy when they roll. As long as the game is still going, everyone is still in the game.
How to Win
Keep passing the dice around the circle until only one person is left standing with a piece of candy (because the others have all been put in the center).
The last person with candy wins! You can either play just one round and winner takes all or play multiple rounds (if you have a small group) and the person who wins three rounds first wins overall.
If you need some fun rainbow themed prize ideas, I’ve got some great ones in this guess the rainbow game!
Just a few clarifications based on questions I’ve received in the past!
- Switching seats can be powerful for two reasons: you can switch your candy pile with someone AND you can switch to a seat that’s closer to more candy (if your neighbors are out for instance).
- If someone doesn’t have candy, they are NOT out of the game, but they cannot roll. If their neighbor passes them candy by rolling a 1 or 2, they are back in the game. Everyone is technically still in until the game is over.
- If there is no candy in the center and you roll take from the center, bad luck for you.
- If you get through two rounds of rolling and a LOT of people still have candy, switch up the 1 and 2 and make it passing ALL candy to the person on your left/right rather than just one piece of candy, this will aggregate the candy more and should speed up the game.
You can technically play this game with as many people as you want, but I would personally limit it to 15 or less just so the game ends. If you have more than that, split into two smaller groups and play.
There is no limit. They can have as many bags of Skittles as they can collect during the game but beware if you have six bags of Skittles and roll put ALL in the center, you still have to get rid of them all!
Keep going until all of the bags of Skittles are in the center except for one person’s candy. This is part of the fun of this game – you never know when it’s going to end! Unlike this lucky dice game that has a definite end, this one could go three rounds and it could go twelve rounds. Just roll fast!
More Fun Dice Games
I already mentioned that I love dice games! If you love them too, here are some fun ones to try!
- Roll a unicorn – roll the dice, add a piece of the unicorn, and keep rolling until you’ve designed your very own unicorn. Kids love this!
- Thanksgiving dice game – a fun new variation on a gratitude game, perfect for playing with family at Thanksgiving!
- Easter dice game – grab some plastic Easter eggs, some Easter egg fillers, and a die and you’re ready for this fun game!
- Dice math game – all you need is the printable game and a pair of dice for addition and subtraction fun with dice!
- Saran wrap game – can you roll doubles for a chance to unwrap prizes from a saran wrap game?? This is a Play Party Plan favorite!
Looking for more PRINTABLE GAMES?
Download the Rainbow Skittles Dice Game
Enter your first name and email address in the form below to get the printable PDF. You will receive a link to download the PDF to your email within minutes.
If you’d rather not provide your email, you can get a copy in my shop here.
If you do not see the form, click here to get to it.
If you do not see the email immediately after you fill out the form, make sure to check your promotions, spam, and junk folders!
The file will include:
- Half-sheet (two to a page) game cards
Leave a Comment