These simple Halloween rice krispie treats are a yummy Halloween or fall treat for any age! Start with rice krispy cereal, add some marshmallows, and finish it off with Halloween candies and decorations!
If you gave me a choice of a treat – so we’re not talking about a dessert like pumpkin delight or pumpkin crunch cake, but more a cookie or a bar – I would choose a homemade rice krispy treat every single time.
When they’re good – the ones that are soft and a little gooey – they’re so good.
This is a fun Halloween version of that classic treat without having to do as much decoration as say these witch rice krispy treats (cute but more time intensive) or any of my favorite Disneyland Halloween treats. It’s more about what you’re adding to the mixture so the treats are as easy as the classic!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Festive – these Halloween rice Krispy treats use candies and sprinkles to make these a really fun treat for the season!
- Easy – just like with classic rice krispie treats, these ones are super easy to make and really only add one step with adding in the candies and decorations! Perfect if you’re like me and looking for easy Halloween party ideas!
- Make ahead – if you’re looking for the perfect Halloween classroom take home treat, these are a great option! You can make the treats ahead of time, bag them individually, and place them into goodie bags to send home as Halloween party favors.
- Butter – the butter combined with the mini marshmallows are what helps everything melt together smoothly. I recommend using salted butter for this recipe. If you only have unsalted butter, I recommend adding 1/4 tsp of salt to the recipe similar to what I did in these chocolate dipped rice krispie treats.
- Mini marshmallows – I recommend using mini marshmallows because they melt easier than the big ones but if you only have the big ones, those work too. If you only have big marshmallows, then I recommend using 18 large marshmallows in place of the 2 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows (or about 125 grams).
- Rice Krispy Cereal – make sure your cereal is fresh and crisp. Just like stale rice krispies aren’t great to eat as a bowl of cereal, they aren’t good in these treats.
Okay now let’s get to actually making these fun Halloween rice krispie treats!
Start by lining an 8″ x8″ baking dish with parchment paper. If you want to make a bigger batch, you can also double the recipe and do a 9×13 pan (they’ll be a little thicker but that’s okay!).
You can make these in a non-stick baking dish without the parchment paper, but you won’t be able to get the same clean squares you see in my pictures. If you use parchment paper, you can simply grab the edges of it and pull the entire thing out when the treats are ready to go. Then just cut into perfect squares! I do this with everything from homemade brownies to 7-layer bars!
Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.
And when I say low, I mean low. Melting the butter slow and low is the key to keeping the butter from browning – if the butter browns or heats too fast, you’ll often end up with hard, not chewy, rice krispie treats.
Once the butter has melted, add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted.
Take the melted marshmallow mixture off the heat and stir in the vanilla first. Then add in the cereal and stir until everything is combined well.
Spread the cereal mixture out evenly in the prepared baking dish, gently pressing down with a silicone spatula to create an even layer (but don’t press too hard).
Top with candy corn and sprinkles, again trying to evenly distribute across the top so that each treat has some of the candy and sprinkles.
Next take a second piece of parchment paper and place it over the the top of the rice krispie treats and press down firmly all over.
The mixture may be hot so be careful to press gently!
Remove top layer of parchment paper and let cool at room temperature for about an hour (if you can wait). Then pull the entire parchment paper out of the baking dish and cut into squares to serve!
Store leftover rice krispie treats in an airtight container for up to five days before throwing away.
Double the recipe and use a 9×13 pan to make a larger batch. The treats may be a little thicker but they’ll still be yummy!
Change things up and add your favorite Halloween treats like candy eyes, colored M&Ms, or really anything else!
You can substitute 18 large marshmallows for the 2 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows in this recipe. I do not recommend substituting anything else like marshmallow fluff simply because it doesn’t melt in the same way. Marshmallow fluff is good for
These rice krispie treats do not freeze well. Just make a new batch rather than trying to freeze and thaw later.
More Easy Halloween Treats
If you liked these Halloween rice krispie treats, you’ll love these other fun Halloween treats!
- Candy corn desserts – this cute layered pudding cup looks just like a fun candy corn cup!
- Ghost brownies – a super simple way to make regular box brownies more spooktacular!
- Caramel apple toppings – is there anything better than a caramel apple? Try some of these yummy toppings to mix it up this year!
- Halloween punch for kids – this green zombie looking punch not only looks fun, it tastes great!
- Halloween dessert board – this witch inspired dessert board uses purple, green, and black items to brew up something special!
Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 TBS salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 cup candy corn
- Halloween sprinkles (optional)
- Start by lining an 8″ x8″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.2 TBS salted butter
- Once the butter has melted, add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted.2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Take the melted marshmallow mixture off the heat and stir in the vanilla first. Then add in the cereal and stir until everything is combined well.4 cups rice krispie cereal, 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Spread the cereal mixture out evenly on prepared baking sheet and top with candy corn and sprinkles as desired.1 cup candy corn, Halloween sprinkles
- Take a second piece of parchment paper and place it over the the top of the rice krispie treats and press down firmly all over.
- Remove top piece of parchment paper and let cool at room temperature for about an hour before cutting and serving.